Asheville Hardware

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was a very frequent customer of Asheville Hardware. I am a full time furniture maker/artist in the Asheville area. I knew 2 of the employees as friends outside of AH. I can assure you that the employess were not the problem in this case. I visited on a weekly basis because their inventory turned over quickly. I was always amazed at how much lumber, tools and extras turned over in that place. It was very popular. So when you say the "staff" was the problem, I can assure you they were not. They had worked for months without pay and had to get a lawyer (a little over a year ago).
They did not close over Covid, they did not close because of their employees. This was mismanagement from the top. THe owner took them down because of human weakness.
Neal,
apologies, I didn't mean employees at Asheville Hardware were a problem.
I was discussing the " perfect store" with Tommy...
I meant if you started a new store, finding good woodworking / tool retail sales people is a problem...

Stickly

New User
Tommy
I could sense that frustration by the employees at AH. That store was great but something always just felt a little bit ‘off’.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Asheville area people that miss Gennet and Asheville Hardware:

What should a good replacement for those vendors look like? What kind of wood are you looking for? What other goods drew you to those locations?

Large display area for lumber and slabs...easy to see and get to. Bins of scrap lumber.....this went both ways. They would buy and sell scraps. They would sell your wood and tools on commission. They had good machine and hand tools. High end finishes, glues and such. Verneer, dowels and small "hobby" wood from Cormark. Some hardware (always wish they more hardware, but that could be another entire store!) dust equipment, sharpening equipment.
Wish they had had more books and magazines....like Highland Hardware in Atlanta.

You could bring clients there to pick out wood....very handy and they were more comfortable in the store than out in the mud at the sawmill.

jdennis

New User
John
It's a bummer Asheville Hardware has closed. I dealt a number of times with a guy named Dan who was very nice and helpful, I assumed he was the owner. Was he? Here is another suggestion for hardwood in the area, Cormack International in Weaverville, although geared towards commercial and shipped orders they have been very friendly and helpful for small walk-in retail purchases. Their focus is mostly foreign exotics which they claim is sustainably harvested. I recently picked up mahogany there and they had all the major mahogany varieties.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's a bummer Asheville Hardware has closed. I dealt a number of times with a guy named Dan who was very nice and helpful, I assumed he was the owner.
Dan WAS super nice!
I don't think he was the owner, but was certainly the "face" of Asheville Hardware and I am hopeful he found a good position and hopefully something he enjoys!
I certainly was bummed they closed.

Reactions: Oka

charlie jones

New User
Charlie
I always enjoyed going in there. I bought a new Laguna bandsaw from them right before Covid. It is a shame but life goes on. I am glad we have Kingsport.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Bummer. It was on my list to visit when I get out there. ( Mostly to tour tap rooms. :) )

Odd a hardware lumber store went under as there was such a boom in the hobby with everyone shut in. Makes me wonder if there were other issues.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bummer. It was on my list to visit when I get out there. ( Mostly to tour tap rooms. :) )

Odd a hardware lumber store went under as there was such a boom in the hobby with everyone shut in. Makes me wonder if there were other issues.
see Neil's reply here: Asheville Hardware

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS