Are Bosch Colt or Dewalt Compact Routers Worth Buying for Craft Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpone

New User
Harpone
My first woodworking investment was a scroll saw, followed by a contractor table saw, a bandsaw and a small planer. I have been making trivets, baskets, bowls, ornaments, etc for family and friends. I also have a Dremel with so-called router bits which doesn't have the power to do much with hardwoods. I have never used a router but I keep thinking I need something better to put a nice rounded edge on things like basket handles. From what I have read the Bosch Colt is the top rated palm router though I just saw something on this website recommending the Dewalt kit over the Bosch. The Bosch kit has a tilt base, roller guide and underscribe attachments. Do I need these? Until 12/31 Bosch has a promotion that would price the kit at $154 (Amazon) and the basic Bosch Colt at $75. Dewalt also has a promotion that brings their kit down to $150. I don't need accessories I never use (already have some of those taking up space in my tiny workshop) and I don't know what attachments would be really useful for craft work. I would appreciate any advice or comments.

RayH

New User
Ray
I have not used the DeWalt small router, but I have had a Bosch Colt for some time and find it really useful for the smaller jobs like jewelry boxes and such.

Good luck,
Ray

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have owned the Bosch Colt for a number of years and really liked it. However, I got tired of waiting for Bosch to introduce a plunge base for it. (available now though)

I sprung for the little Dewalt with the fixed and plunge bases. It is now my goto trim router for the smaller stuff. The plunge base is nice and smooth and the dust collection on the Dewalt bases is excellent. The little LED light in the base of the motor is also a nice touch. I believe that retail for the combo (fixed and plunge base) is around $199, but you can find them occasionally down to around $169.

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You wont go wrong with the bosch. I dont own any yellow stuff. period! YMMV and all that.....

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'm no router expert although I used to have a lot of them. Now I'm down to seven plus a Roto-Zip and a Dremel. I'm uncomfortable using a router without handles; even my Dremel and Roto-Zip have handles. I may not have mentioned it, but I like my routers to be mounted in tables or have...wait for it.........HANDLES!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Go Dewalt I have Bosch, several PC trimmers and full size. The Dewalt is great and the plunge base is fantastic; once you get it you will wonder how you did without.

Joe, here ya go again with the candy stripe handles roflmao

g0a

Joey
Senior User
If the little dewalts dust collection is similar to my 5 beloved DW 621 routers ,that alone would sell me

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Like Mark, I have a Colt with a fixed base, and a Dewalt with both bases. They are both great small routers.

If I could only have one, I would choose the Dewalt due to the better view of the work (clear base) and the light.

The small DeWalt actually has better view of the working area than my Festool routers....

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I fully concur with Scott's remarks concerning the Dewalt -- I love the visibility it offers and the direct light on the work surface. I bought mine last year at the Klingspor Extravaganza and have been pleased with its performance.

If you've been good, let Santa know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS