Appropriate secondary wood for use as drawer sides on a walnut chest of drawers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am in the final planning stages of my next project, a low, wide walnut chest of drawers to go with with the walnut bed I finished this summer. The Carcass top and bottom will be out of ply and the sides out of walnut as well as the finished top. Drawer fronts will be walnut with half blind dovetails joining the sides which will be made out of.......?

I though about white cedar but would like some suggestions from those of you with experience. What are good lumber choices for the drawer sides (and the bottom for that matter)?

Thanks

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I've seen them made out of white pine too. Both pine and cedar smell great while your working with em

T

toolferone

I am building a small dresser right now and I am using popular for the drawer sides and back. I am also using it for the back part of the drawer dividers.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I vote for soft maple (just cause it is cheaper than hard maple but still looks great with walnut :)).

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Almost any hardwood will work well with walnut, but I like the contrast presented with maple or white poplar (not a species, just a coloring). You mentioned half blind dovetails (HBDTs), so I'll mention the IDIOT rule.....

Inside of the Drawer IS the Outside Of the Tree!

If the drawer sides are going to swell, they'll swell towards the middle of the drawer and not bind on the case sides. looks like this. If you know this already, just ignore.

DovetailIDIOT.jpg

View image in gallery

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As mentioned above, Poplar and Pine are both good choices for "secondary" woods. I've even used SYP for drawers, as long as it's nice clear stuff, no knots or blemishes. Not sure how it would contrast w/ the Walnut, though.

Bill

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
+1 for poplar.

I did not know the IDIOT rule, Joe - thanks:icon_thum! As my grandfather always said - "the day you don't learn something is the day they plant you in the ground. :gar-Bi

C.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Almost any hardwood will work well with walnut, but I like the contrast presented with maple or white poplar (not a species, just a coloring). You mentioned half blind dovetails (HBDTs), so I'll mention the IDIOT rule.....

If the drawer sides are going to swell, they'll swell towards the middle of the drawer and not bind on the case sides. looks like this. If you know this already, just ignore.

Joe, this was not something that I knew and I appreciate the advice! Thanks

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Any hardwood (maple, poplar, beech, birch, sycamore and red gum were used often when I worked at the millwork company) would be better than a soft wood, although the soft is easier to work. You can use virtually any wood but do not expect the endurance of hardwood from the soft woods such as white cedar or white pine. Just my opinion.

Jerry

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'll mention the IDIOT rule.....

That's what I love about this site: I learn something new almost every day. Thanks Joe. :notworthy:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors