Appalachia Service Project - help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'm seeking some help for an organization that I'm involved with, but first I'd like to make a few disclaimers:
I'm not profiting from this.
Although the organization is run through a church, it is not to benefit the church per se (keep reading to see what I mean).
If this is posted in the wrong forum area, admins, please feel free to move it to where it may be more appropriate.

My church (Hollands UMC, 9433 Ten ten Rd, Raleigh (South part of Garner, really)) annually sends a groups of high school students with adult 'leaders' to participate in Appalachia Service Project. You can read more about ASP here.
In a nut shell, ASP sends groups of high school students to destitute parts of western NC, WV, western VA, KY and TN to help improve the living conditions for indigent families. Some of these families - you walk into their house, look up and see sky and look down and see dirt. They frequently repair roofs, install insulation, fix floors, shore up foundations, build handicapped ramps, and perform a host of other improvements and repairs. Personally, while I'm totally supportive of efforts to improve living conditions for the poor worldwide, I'm a HUGE fan of the concept of helping our own citizens first and the whole "charity begins at home" concept of ASP.
Additionally, it's an incredible experience for the teens that attend. They usually end up sleeping on a floor in a school, taking cold showers and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a week. Not only is there a bit of self sacrifice involved, but they also need to raise all the money to finance the trip! Those that go to ASP usually argue that they actually get more out of the trip than the families that they help.

This year, there are a record 70 teens and adult leaders who have signed up to attend! This means that the group needs to raise over $30,000 to pay for the food, gas, van rentals, materials, etc.

Every year the group does an auction of donated items to raise money. Many members of the church donate items such as baked goods and crafts for the auction. Last year, I made a 24" x 24" kids Lego table out of some scrap oak, plywood and some Lego base plates and it sold for $225! I also witnessed two ladies got in a bidding war over a cake and it ended up selling for almost $300! I know that the auction ended up raising over $10,000 in all.

This year the auction is April 6th or 13th (decision to be made very soon). I was wondering if anyone from the NCWW group would like to donate anything for the auction. I was thinking pens, jewelry boxes, turned items or anything else that you could find in your heart to contribute to what I believe is a worthy cause. Given the level of craftsmanship that I KNOW exists on this site, I have to believe that some folks have some items that they could bear to part with. Also, all are welcome to attend the auction! Please feel free to reply here or PM me with questions or suggestions. Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Cutting it kinda close for me, Chris. But, I'll try to get something made and sent to you.

my daughter has been looking for something like to go to in the summer.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Mike,
It really is a fantastic program and an amazing opportunity for some selfless kids. I know that the timeline is short for folks to make stuff, but my though was that maybe folks had some stuff already made (hopeful)...
I'm not normally a 'last minute' kind of person, but the idea of soliciting NCWW for donations just occurred to me the other day and I figured that there was no harm in asking. Thanks in advance!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A very worthy program. I used to go up to West Virginia for a week each year with a similar program and have many fond memories. I will try to come up with something to support this.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
PM me your address and I'll send a pen or two.

You can look through my facebook page and see if one in particular strikes your fancy.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
ASP is an Awesome program! My son participated throughout High school and I lead a group of teens one year in a very depressed former mining town in WV. ASP fills a huge need not far from home.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Please PM address and I'll send something.
I was just talking with a young man this past week who mentioned he had worked with ASP.

gator

George
Corporate Member
One of several great programs. Youth at our church (and a couple of others in our area) participate in CCC (Carolina Cross Connection) which does the same things in the Carolina mountians.

George

chris99z71

New User
Chris
By the day of the auction. They're trying to get the items beforehand in order to advertise, but it's not completely necessary.

b4man

New User
Barbara
This is a fantastic organization. My daughter participated in ASP all thru high school and still stays in touch with family's whose homes she worked on. PM sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS