Anyone used flexible molding? Any feedback or user notes?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I inquired previously about installing French doors into an arch top drywalled opening - thanks for your responses. Adding rectangular doors are not particularly difficult, but the window and the moldings around the arch top seems like the complicated bit.

Has anyone used flexible moldings? At Trimster.com these seem to be a molded polymer (no surprise there) that are installed (mostly glued), then painted (makes sense).

Anyone ever used these (or similar) and have any feedback? For the arch I need to cover the casings run just under $7/ft - an acceptable cost I think.

Thanks

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I trimmed out 2 small arched windows and 1 very large arched window with some flexible model about 15 years ago. It worked really well for me. I would nail it at the 2 ends first and then work your way up from side to side until you reach the top of the arch. The first one that I did, I started at one end and worked my way around, but when I got to the other end it didn't match up quite perfect.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stewart Enterprises in Mineral Springs (Monroe) carries and can order Carter Flex brand moulding in most standard profiles. It's like working with rubber, sometimes. For radiused openings and curved walls using crown mouldings, you'll have to give them a radius to work from, and if it's an inside or outside curve for crown moulds. It nails up fine with a trim gun and can be glued. I even have run it through a table saw to get a specific dimension to mimic steel jamb casing, but it makes a heavy stringy 'sawdust' that will clog up your dust collector lines if you're not careful. Once installed, it paints out just like wood or MDF.

Jfhbuilder

New User
Jay
Greetings,

New guy here……Jay Holden from Williamsburg, VA. Home builder by career…..Staircase builder by trade (If you wanna go back that far!).

As for flex trim. It works pretty well, but do not use a nail gun……and pilot all of your holes prior to placing nails. The stuff puckers if you don’t. The good news is that it sands reasonably well when it puckers up at the nails.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I cased one arched window with it in 2014. The stuff I used was heavy polymer of some kind. It came premolded into an arch but not the exact arch I needed. The only issue I had was getting the angle right to match up to the finger molded wood molding along the outside vertical portion of the window. The polymer molding matched the profile pretty well. But the wood and polymer have to be cut at an angle where they mate and the second cut has to be at there right place or the curve will not be right. All I can remember is I cut it longer than I thought it needed to be and nibbled up to where it fit. I just nailed it up with my brad nailer once it was cut to fit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS