Anyone use Pentacryl

We have not used it personally however we have received a good amount of lumber that has been treated with it. From our end of the experiance it does a good job of slowing down checking/cracking however it does tend to add a yellowish tint up to 1/2" or so deep on softer woods. Hopefully this helps a bit even though it was not what you asked.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
We have not used it personally however we have received a good amount of lumber that has been treated with it. From our end of the experience it does a good job of slowing down checking/cracking however it does tend to add a yellowish tint up to 1/2" or so deep on softer woods. Hopefully this helps a bit even though it was not what you asked.
Actually, your response was quite apropos and helpful - just the facts, that Joe Friday would appreciate! Thanks

teesquare

T
Senior User
Pentacryl is nasty stuff - chemical that is not good for you. I think that has all but made it vanish in the marketplace. Coupled with he rise in popularity of Anchorseal products which are wax suspensions. However - I don't like the wax on things I am going to turn - because it makes my floor turn into a skating rink.... :p
So now I use the cheap Elmer's school glue - reduced with water at 2 parts glue - and 1 part water.. It dries hard enough to plane off easily or sand at lower speeds. It seals end grain well. AND...it MUCH cheaper than the Anchorseal....

Preservation Solutions

New User
PreSol
Pentacryl is nasty stuff - chemical that is not good for you. I think that has all but made it vanish in the marketplace. Coupled with he rise in popularity of Anchorseal products which are wax suspensions. However - I don't like the wax on things I am going to turn - because it makes my floor turn into a skating rink.... :p
So now I use the cheap Elmer's school glue - reduced with water at 2 parts glue - and 1 part water.. It dries hard enough to plane off easily or sand at lower speeds. It seals end grain well. AND...it MUCH cheaper than the Anchorseal....
Hello, Pentacryl hasn't vanished and is still very much available on many platforms. No one can really say a wood treatment product is "good for you", but there is nothing in Pentacryl that is "nasty".
Pentacryl differs from Anchorseal or End Grain Sealer, as it absorbs all the way into green wood, displaces the moisture (pushes the water out) and leaves a thin coating on the wood cell walls. This prevents the cells from shrinking as the wood dries and stabilizes the wood.
Anchorseal coats and seals just the wood surface (typically, the end grain where most of the drying occurs). This slows down the drying, but doesn't stabilize the wood. We actually recommend applying the sealer to the end grain of large pieces of Pentacryl treated wood to slow the drying. Thank you. Kim, Preservation Solutions

teesquare

T
Senior User
Thanks for your response. I will admit that my confusion was that Pentacryl was a form of PEG. Clearly it is not. And - after reading enough ( which, my apologies - I should have done BEFORE posting...) I will try it. Tho it is going to obviously be more expensive than my 2 parts PVA and 1 part water - there may be some advantages based on your website information.
I do have some questions tho:
1. How do I use this for green woodturning blanks? Just end-grain - or the entire piece?
2. Does it stabilize the green wood dimensionally so that I can turn it then and expect the finished turned piece to remain round or does the wood need to dry as typical of when using Anchorseal or PVA for sealing end-grain?
3. Is this product best used on blanks, then on first turned pieces ( which will be finish turned later)?
Thanks - and again - my apologies for my providing wrong information. I try to be thorough and accurate....but this time I clearly blew it.😔
T

Preservation Solutions

New User
PreSol
No apologies necessary! Just trying to clear up confusion on the different wood treatment products.

Treating Turned Bowls
For turners using green wood, it is best to rough turn the item first (this removes excess wood so you will use less Pentacryl)
Then soak, or brush on multiple coats until Pentacryl saturates all the way through.
Next, dry the wood slowly, wrapped in brown paper or buried in dry wood shavings.
Once dry, finish turn the piece. It can then be sanded, stained, glued, finished, etc.

Bowl Blanks
If you will not be turning the blank right away, you can apply Pentacryl, however, it best to just seal the blank with Anchorseal until you are ready to use it. This will prevent air from getting to the wood and having it dry and crack.

Thank you for your feedback!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors