anyone have solar panels on their roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Anyone using solar power with their HVAC? I recently had my HVAC upgraded with a solar ready unit. The company that installed the unit let me know that with rebates and discounts, the $8000 cost for adding solar panels will cost me only $800.

It seems pretty tempting but not sure if installing panels on my roof will give me headaches down the road. What kind of maintenance will I need to worry about and are their any unknown costs for me?

Are these things covered by my home insurance if they get broken by hail or something? etc.

Thnx...Steve

Bryan S

Bryan
Steve I can only speak from our past experiences. Solar panels for preheating hot water were a big thing in the late 70's and mom and dad had them installed on the roof. Everything was fine until mom needed the roof re shingled, and that is when the leaks started. We ended up paying a second roofer to come in to remove the panels and patch the roof. He is one of the best in the area and told me that he had removed a lot of those panels. He told us that it was very hard to keep them from leaking around the points they were attached to the roof once you had to re shingle.

Things may be different now with different materials and methods I do not know, but this is my past experience with roof mounted solar panels.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Wow, the HVAC and Solar people came over to explain the process and then went over the numbers.

8 panels and all other equipment to go with it will cost right around 16k. After the dealer incentives, progress energy rebates, and state and federal tax credits. My cost will be only 1k.

Part of the reason for me is the federal tax credit for my new compressor goes from I think $400 to $900 by going solar.

Bryan S

Bryan
Hope things work out well for you. I know the new north tower project at the hospital will have solar panels on the roof for heating water.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Haven't decided on it yet. I will have to front the 16k and then wait to till I file my taxes to get most of it back.

The tax credits sure are crazy tho.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'd love to do solar, but my lot is full of big trees. I love the trees, but sometimes I wish they were a little shorter (ok, a LOT shorter) on the south side of my house. I could really use the solar during the winter - which is when my electric bills are the highest. But, alas, my roof gets maybe 5 hours of unobstructed direct sun in the summer...less in the winter. :(

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'd like to have Pv panels and battery backup for some lights, the well and the wood stove fans.

I have seen to many horror stories with the on roof water heating panels. If I were going to do that i would install commercial grade metal roofing first. Or some other 40 - 100 year roofing material.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
My understanding is the panels do not have to go on the roof, they can go on a rack in the back yard. Talk to your installer see if this is an option, you wouldn't have to worry about a leaking roof that way.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
My understanding is the panels do not have to go on the roof, they can go on a rack in the back yard. Talk to your installer see if this is an option, you wouldn't have to worry about a leaking roof that way.

Methinks Mr. Mills is correct here. :icon_thum My solar kiln is a good example. By NOT using the roof, (if you are allowed in your area) you can better face the panels in the best direction for your location. It's not about ambient temps, but all about sunlight. Just m2cw!:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors