Anyone built a Murphy bed?

joec

joe
User
My daughter tells me it is her turn for my next project. She needs a Murphy Bed. Anyone here built one? I see Rockler has hardware kits. Any advice greatly appreciated.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Joe - I built a Murphy Bed using the kit from https://www.createabed.com/

This is the company that Rockler gets the Murphy bed kits from. Best advice is to go slow and read the plans carefully, I cut all my parts on a CNC machine and mis-read one hole placement so had to patch the holes and re-cut them.

It was the biggest project I have attempted, and was a little daunting at first, but well worth it.

Make sure you get good plywood, I spent a lot of time at the blue BORG finding flat sheets. Next time I'd go to Wurth or similar for cabinet grade plywood, even if it cost a few dollars extra.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Joe, I build a murphy bed using the hardware kit from Rockler. Mine was queen size and vertical. It is (in my world) a complicated project and the instructions took several readings before it started making sense. It is also a very large project and much of the assembly for mine had to be done in the bedroom as completed components would not have made the turn to get in the door. Just like Daniel said, go slow and read carefully. After marking out items, especially mounting holes, etc. sit back and look at them carefully to make sure they make sense and look right.

Good luck!!! Rob

Pokey

New User
Jerry
I made a Murphy bed with the Rockler plans. The plans were very good and not too hard to follow. Everything worked just right.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I also made one from the Rockler kit. Mine was a full size vertical. My only regret was not making the sides of the housing thicker. I just used 3/4" plywood, structurally it is fine. It just looks thin to the eye when the bed is down. I wish that I would have double up the 3/4" plywood.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I may build one in my office. I don't really use it as an office but it is an unusual shaped room which has no real place for both a bed and a closet. So I tentatively plan to just leave it as an office but put a murphy bed in it. I may just use the normal hardware but this idea interests me - because the hardware would be much cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nOZvUPZqGU

I will put in a double if I do this - that's all the space I have - so raising and lowering it should be OK without assist.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors