Anyone Build a Thein Separator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I've got an older grizzly single stage DC with a homemade separator. The separator works good for the larger pieces, but most of the planer chips and smaller stuff go right into the DC. I'm thinking about building a Thein separator and wondered if anyone else has. How does it perform? Where did you get the plans?
Thanks!

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i made the baffle from plans off of phil thien's site installed in a 33gal metal trashcan from the HD IIRC. does a good job of catching the majority of the debris from my machines

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
A lot of us have built and use Phil's separator. I recommend a steel can. I've collapsed a steel trash can. Hose separated, got entangled with the side of a shop cab and before I cut pour cold water over them, the can collapsed!
I've also collapsed a 30 gal fiber drum. Same scenario. Now I have one over a 20 gal grease drum; seems to work better. Here's some pics:

00320.JPG

00125.JPG

DC_Drum_1_.JPG

Claus

Claus
User
Great timing. Somebody gave me a lid just like the woodcraft one in Tim's link. I'm dragging my feet because I still need to drop around $50 for a can and 4" hose and I'm not sure my D/C has enough power. I only have a 1hp unit that's pretty much adequate for a single machine. Is that enough juice for a separator ??

--Claus

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I built one and installed it in the DC ring that holds the filter on top and the bag below....night and day improvement.

kclark

New User
Kevin
Great timing. Somebody gave me a lid just like the woodcraft one in Tim's link. I'm dragging my feet because I still need to drop around $50 for a can and 4" hose and I'm not sure my D/C has enough power. I only have a 1hp unit that's pretty much adequate for a single machine. Is that enough juice for a separator ??

--Claus
$50 for a can?
I bought this one
http://www.lowes.com/pd_94614-63872-1270_0__?productId=3475295&Ntt=galvanized+trash+can&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgalvanized%2Btrash%2Bcan&facetInfo=

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Works extremely well.
I followed the links Bas includes and pretty sure I referred to Joe's build as well.
I've collapsed a plastic trash can and a fiber drum. Currently using a very heavy fiber drum that originally shipped 600# of welding wire.
I'm using a shopvac for power and retrofitted a HEPA filter in the vac.
Really don't see any accumulation in the vac, but I do need to clean the filter every now and then.
Pics in my gallery, but they pretty much look like Joe's.

I was able to use the lid clamping ring on this newest drum. Makes for a nice seal.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i've also collapsed a metal trash can. i inserted a ring from aluminum bar i made about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. it's riveted into the can. much more sturdy now

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
:wsmile:I have one on a 50 gallon plastic barrel. Works very well. Best design out there I think!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tried just using the Rockler vortex attachments to a fiber drum, but wasn't happy with the results so I modified it to add the Thien baffle and am now very happy with the results. Very little ends up in the DC Bag unless I forget to empty the drum.

batk30msu

New User
brent

--Claus

I have always had luck finding drums on CL.

Here is an example for 10 dollars http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/3885157148.html
Th
e lid is not removable but i am sure you could solve that.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow! Lots of great info. I'm definitely going to build one now. Mike, Sam, Tim, Joe, everyone....thanks for all the links and videos. I'll start building mine as soon as I'm back from vacation. I have a heavy fiber drum that I plan to use. I believe it might be around 55 gal or a bit bigger. I've also got the heavy plastic lid with locking ring. I have a plan!
Michael

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Google "Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle," and you will see (right here at NCWW) how the ORIGINAL TOP HAT was made. They say proof is in the pudding, so photo's show results of using baffle.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As I said I originally used the Rockler kit to make a simple vortex box like this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25225&site=ROCKLER

But was unhappy with the performance so I modified it to add the Thien baffle. The build was simple I just glued 1/2" thick plywood to the drum top and cut the baffle from 1/2" ply and held everything together with threaded rod and PVC pipe for spacers. All easily found at one of the borgs.

DSC_0208_532x800_1.jpg

DSC_0450_800x532_.jpg

DSC_0451_800x532_.jpg

I do get a little dust in the bag, especially when I forget to empty the drum promptly when full.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS