Anybody Wearing a Cooling shirt/vest to Keep Cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I was just shopping for some replacement dust mask filters and stumbled across these wearable cooling devices. Some work with evaporation and probably not as effective as something with cold packs due to our high humidity. This company has a design that has rechargeable cold packs which are supposed to last 2.5 hrs. https://www.glaciertek.com/about-our-cooling-technology/ If you are using them, do they make it comfortable working when it's hot in the shop? Do they get in the way?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Cool! Pun not intended. This could also help in outreach events!
WAIT...WILL NOT WORK IN HIGH HUMIDITY!
Will not work here.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The cool vests don't look bulky and they're pretty nice visually. Pricing is about $200-260 each. They're about 4.5-5 lbs each.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Misread of the site....it should work in high humidity

...WAIT...WILL NOT WORK IN HIGH HUMIDITY!
Will not work here.

Berta - the website has poor layout and is easy to misread (to the detriment of the product they are promoting). The list you quoted from is in a section prefaced with an easy to miss line: "[FONT=&amp]Cooling technologies offered by competitors fall short in a variety of ways:"

So that 'will not work in high humidity' line is in a section describing other technologies, not the phase change material they are trying to sell.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff

So that 'will not work in high humidity' line is in a section describing other technologies, not the phase change material they are trying to sell.

[FONT=&quot]Cooling technologies offered by competitors fall short in a variety of ways:[/FONT]

Specifically they're referring to "evaporative" technologies. That's water and low humidity, not water and high humidity. Go swimming in Arizona and when you get out of the water you may get goose bumps as the water rapidly evaporates and cools you in the really low humidity. Go swimming in NC and you're still soaking wet, like sweating.

The gel technology should work just fine here.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

I sometimes use ice cubes in baggies stuffed in a pocket if I can't just quit and retreat inside. Happens!
Also use the prefilled baggies that come with some things in the mail.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I did inquire the company and they said that humidity is not a factor, so these vests will work here!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
When I bought my first mesh jacket for summer riding on my motorcycle I was disappointed that it didn’t work well at all. So I removed the windscreen. Without the windscreen blocking the wind from the jacket, it was much cooler than my other riding jackets. I would wear a cotton shirt under the jacket. Perspiration from the cotton shirt would evaporate in the wind. But it was not much better than a traditional riding jacket when I was not moving.

If you were working in a shop with a decent fan, then you would probably get some benefit from an evaporative cooling vest or jacket. On a humid day, my mesh jet was better than a conventional riding jacket, but it didn’t provide much cooling.

For me, riding a motorcycle is a great way to acclimate to hot weather. I have to admit that at times it can be a punishing experience. You quickly learn how much cooler it is to ride on concrete vs asphalt as well a developing a real distaste for having to stop at traffic lights or getting stuck in traffic.

Pete

I was just shopping for some replacement dust mask filters and stumbled across these wearable cooling devices. Some work with evaporation and probably not as effective as something with cold packs due to our high humidity. This company has a design that has rechargeable cold packs which are supposed to last 2.5 hrs. https://www.glaciertek.com/about-our-cooling-technology/ If you are using them, do they make it comfortable working when it's hot in the shop? Do they get in the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors