Any words of wisdom for removing rust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Anybody got a good system for removing rust from a neglected table saw top. The top and cast wings have been removed and I took them to a machine shop to have them media blasted at lunch time today. It turns out that the only big, automated blasting machine that they had uses steel shot instead of glass bead or sand. That scared me too much regarding the type of finish it would leave on the table surface. I'm thinking about getting one of these for my angle grinder:
045242145300_3.jpg

Then I could use some progressively finder sandpaper in my palm sander? Will this work?

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
If it was really bad I would use a wire brush or wheel but I would just use it lightly to remove the bulk, not to attempt to get it shiny.

After that I would spray it liberally with wd-40, let it soak for a few and then use about 400 w/d paper on a palm sander, working my way up the grit if needed. You can also put sander down on top of a scotchbrite pad.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Well, I went through 3, 1/4 sheets of 150 grit just on half of the table top after trying both a scotch brite pad on the palm sander and gradually working my way up from 320 grit... I'm also thinking about using a wire wheel to get into the two t-slots. I also have been wiping it down with some leftover mobil1 from my last oil change.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I've had good results using the sheet steel wool, starting with the course and progressing to the ultra fine. I cut the sheet to fit on the ROS and 'sand' with a little WD40. Down in the miter slots, you're right, a wire brush and elbow grease.
If you haven't already, when you have it nice and smooth, use Boshield T9.
HTH,
ken

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
You may even want to try one of the brass wire wheels for the grinder, it won't be quite as hard on your table surface. From my experince, WD-40 does as good of a job as the Boeshield. Boesheild also makes a product called rust-free that will take rust off in a hurry, but it discolored and stained saw table when I used it to take off some minor spots. Just my $.02, hope it helps some!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I will email you "Dave's dirty dozen" which I got from Woodnet. Hope this helps. I tried the Boshield T9 but felt it left too much residue. I am currently using Corrosion X and I also use a chalkboard eraser and work in talc after every use. Works great.

Hope you get a nice shiney finish.

Mike

R

rickc

mshel said:
I tried the Boshield T9 but felt it left too much residue.
Mike

I had the same experience with Boshield. Ended up spraying a very light coat, and once dry used paste wax. For removing rust, steel wool seemed to work best. Occasional touch up with the paste wax seems to help stay ahead of the game.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
UPDATE - I bought one of the wire brushes similar to the one that I pictured above, but slightly less coarse. That puppy worked like a charm. There was more rust on the top than I had anticipated, but I got it off pretty well. There are still a few spots that are slightly discolored. I also used a more traditional type wire wheel in the drill to get into the t-slots. Then I hit it with some CR56 because that's what I had. I'm planning on finishing it off with some sort of wax after I get both wings done. I'll get some pics of the wings before cleaning along side of the main top that's already done.
Thanks for all the suggestions all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS