Any tips for sharpening bowl gouge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin510

New User
Dustin
I made a jig sharpen my roughing gouge, just an adjustable rod coming from under the bench grinder with a little cup for the butt of the tool. Obviously this is only good for sharpening a square edge, and won't work for the rounded edge of a bowl gouge (not sure correct terminology). If anyone has any suggestions for a cheap way to construct a jig, or a method to get a consistent edge. Also, what are suggested angles for the edge of a roughing gouge and bowl gouge?

crokett

New User
David
I made a homebuilt version of the Wolverine system. I did buy the vari-grind jig, but there are plans on the web for a shop made version.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: have a disk sander?

I made a jig to use with my combo belt/disk sander - based on info from David Ellsworth in one of his books. I have since remade it since the first one cracked, but it is entirely ugly and scrap material. It is also very effective. I use it with my 9" disk sander and 150 grit paper.

"Capn Eddie Casatalin" has a bunch of videos on You Tube about turning, and one shows his version of this.
two dollar sharpening jig.avi - YouTube

Mine is a wooden block version with holes drilled for the set screw. through hole for the gouge, and one angled hole for the 'stick.' Cheap and effective.

Henry W

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Lots of videos that provide sharpening assistance

There are many videos out there that cover sharpening. I really like one DVD video "Two Ways to Turn a Bowl" by Mike Mahoney and Stuart Batty, both turners are professionals. Stuart gives a five minute sharpening explanation and demonstration that fairly clear.

Years ago, I made the the substitute wolverine jig for pennies of the authentic jig, and it worked fine, but now I just do it by hand. Buy a few cheap and unusable gouges from Harbor Freight and grind them down for practice, until you get a nice edge. Once that is accomplished, then look carefully at the Mike Mahoney gouges with two ground facets, then buy regular good gouges, for a lot less, and replicate the edges. You can get some nice pictures of the gouges at woodturnerscatalog.com

As well, Mike Mahoney gives a nice explanation on a YouTube video: Tool Design and Grinding with Mike Mahoney - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors