Any ideas on how to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
A friend of mine wants me to make one of these for his mother's birthday - which is July 17th:swoon: -
project1.jpg

View image in gallery

any ideas on how to cut out the concave sections of this - remember I have [STRIKE]very little[/STRIKE] no heavy woodworking tools - Am I looking at a heavy duty router job and a jig???:icon_scra

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Core box bit on the router is the only way I know of to get them perfect. You can also step drill, carve off the corners and use a sanding mop but that is more work and there will be imperfections (some people, like me, like the handcrafted look; YMMV).

CarvedTones

Andy
There is also a vintage yet cheesy way to do it. If you want to make one like it came from a factory, Mike is correct - you can get them way cheaper than you can make them. If you were to hand make one, I think it should look hand made like this:
rl-19-17.jpg

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
If you are probably only going to build one or two of these I would be very tempted to just buy the boards precut as Mike suggested. Then you could add an inlay, build a custom sleeve or case to match something in the recipients house or their tastes. Just a thought....
Mike

CarvedTones

Andy
That is not mine. I just Googled images to find an example of what I meant by making it look hand crafted. If you use a true rectangular piece of wood and have the holes all symmetric, then hand crafted holes would look out of place IMO; you would want to route them precisely (again, IMO). My point was to suggest that if you try to do it without a router, then I suggest also going more free form.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
That is not mine. I just Googled images to find an example of what I meant by making it look hand crafted. If you use a true rectangular piece of wood and have the holes all symmetric, then hand crafted holes would look out of place IMO; you would want to route them precisely (again, IMO). My point was to suggest that if you try to do it without a router, then I suggest also going more free form.

My thoughts also but it is what he would like to get for his mother - when I get all of my round2it jobs done I might look intomaking some of these free hand carved ones - but that would be waaaay down the list

BSHuff

New User
Brian
Other than the router core box bit..

Have seen discussions on similar projects about people taking a spade bit and regrinding it to more of a scoop shape and using it in a slow speed drill press to make the pockets.

You could take several pieces of thin stock, laminate them together, use a forstner bit to cut the holes, and then add on another sheet or two of thin stock on the bottom, ease the edges? That would be a more contemporary look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS