Any draftsman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
If so you'll recognize these tools by Alvin I picked up for a song. A beam compass, part of another beam compass or trammel points, compass, knife, proportional dividers and TWO equal spacing dividers; all for less than the value of proportional dividers alone. Seller had $50 or best offer, I didn't even muck about with the best offer, I just clicked buy it now as fast as possible. :thumbs_up

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600_small.jpg
    s-l1600_small.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 193

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
That is a very nice set. Alvin does make some very nice gear, particularly the older gear before they started incorporating plastic into things.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice, I have a set of Dietsgen (sp) proportional dividers and lots of compasses. Always looking for more. Never saw spacers like that. Look like they will be very handy.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Definitely a nice set, Rick. I did a lot of drafting in my younger days, but now I do all my plans in SketchUp. I've still got several old drafting sets sitting in shop drawers.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I paid $50 for a set just like that when I went to school.......50 YEARS AGO!!!

I bought my old Charvox drafting set in school 50 years ago too. That and my slide rule. Can't say that I've used the slide rule since the 60's, but I still use the drafting set from time to time.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Great find. It's impressive how precise tools used to be. We have how much computer and manufacturing technology today, but where you would go to buy tools at this level of precision-quality other than vehicle manufacturing or a surgery?

Rick M

New User
Rick
My daughter is studying architecture at NCSU and she just bought a "lot" (as in a group) of antique drafting equipment including slide rules and books on how to use them.
-- Rick M

Rick M

New User
Rick
Hi Rick, Have you seen a Leroy set or a set of ships curves?

I've seen them on ebay but never used them in real life. Besides the obvious, I'm not sure what purpose a lettering kit serves. Is it for people who couldn't learn to letter by hand? Or was it common for houses to require mechanical lettering for uniformity?

Rick M

New User
Rick
Kit arrived today. I've wanted equal spacing dividers my whole adult life but in reality I have no use for them. They would just set on a shelf. So I'll end up tossing the kit back on ebay for a tidy profit and using the funds to buy something I will use. I'll keep the steel beam compass points, make a new beam and use it in my shop.

719A 6” Equal spacing divider
719B 12” Equal spacing divider
458 10” Proportional divider
961A Aluminum Beam compass w/beam
Steel Beam compass points only
Compass, no markings other than W.Germany
X-acto style Knife, no markings
Teensy tiny German paintbrush

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The equal spacing dividers come in handy laying out certain turnings on the lathe. Not something I use every day, but handy to have around sometimes.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
The ten point dividers are very handy for a number of purposes. Many years ago I used a small set to interpolate Loran-C lines while navigating across the Gulf of Maine or Cape Cod Bay on a 30' sloop. That was before GPS system existed and Loran-C was "state-of-the-art". I've also used them in woodworking and in reading architectural plans. I no longer have the set I used back then (80's and 90's) but sure wish I had them nowadays.

Trouble is I'm a long way from Garner these days.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Believe me, it almost causes me physical pain to resell them but I'm working hard to change my pack rat ways. Last few years I've been selling or tossing stuff left or right; I've discovered the less surplus I own, the freer the mind.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I put the food on the table for many years drafting. The Leroy mechanical lettering is for uniformity. I 1st ran into old Leroy at the Virginia State Highway Dept. as a cartographer in the early 60s. Hand lettered for years and used Leroy for finished drawings of roadway and bridges.

I can't believe I was stupid enough to get rid of my Leroy set & ships curves.

Pop

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Believe me, it almost causes me physical pain to resell them but I'm working hard to change my pack rat ways. Last few years I've been selling or tossing stuff left or right; I've discovered the less surplus I own, the freer the mind.

Out of curiosity, how much are you asking? Probably more than I am prepared to spend but I may be interested.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Out of curiosity, how much are you asking? Probably more than I am prepared to spend but I may be interested.

I listed four of the items, all 3 dividers plus the beam compass, for $500. Before anyone thinks I'm crazy, MSRP is over $1300 and the lowest retail I could find is about $800 and that's using the plastic beam compass Alvin sells now, mine is aluminum. Plus it comes in a nice case that holds everything. If someone stood in front of me with cash in hand, there might be some negotiation. Or if someone offered me something like a Canon Rebel T5.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I listed four of the items, all 3 dividers plus the beam compass, for $500. Before anyone thinks I'm crazy, MSRP is over $1300 and the lowest retail I could find is about $800 and that's using the plastic beam compass Alvin sells now, mine is aluminum. Plus it comes in a nice case that holds everything. If someone stood in front of me with cash in hand, there might be some negotiation. Or if someone offered me something like a Canon Rebel T5.

Unfortunately that is more than I can do at present as I've spent a fair bit on other hobbies the past few months and reached that point where I have to conserve a bit for awhile, but I very much appreciate the offer. You'll have a very hard time separating me from my Canon EOS 5D as I am rather fond of that camera (unless you happen to be interested in older 35mm film cameras). :)

I am am quite certain their new owner will get many years of enjoyment out of the set and I am grateful you rescued the set to find them a better home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS