Any Combo machine users here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
In my continued search for a sliding table saw, I came across a used Robland X-31 combo machine. It's about 10 years old.

It has a 10" sliding table saw, 12" planer, 12" jointer, shaper and slot mortiser, all run with three separate 3hp motors.

Anyone have experience using this type of machine? Pros & cons?

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have one of those in my shop.

The first thing you should do is confirm the model..Robland made a series of similar machines with similar names: (N)(L)X-31. Pictures of the actual machine would be best. I have a true X31.

This is a pretty good overview of the X31
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/reviews/articles_872.shtml

..although I think it glosses over some of the problems with the machine. The biggest single issue with the machine, IMO, is that it has crude (but not coarse) adjustments: the saw height is not set with a crank, aligning the slider is tedious, riving knife install/removal is not tool-less.

If you have more shop space and more money, you would be better off with separate (used) machines than a used x31. The X31 does not have 'the best' implementation of any of the five functions it supports: TS, shaper, etc. Note that I take the same position about even a much more expensive machine like a Felder CF - buy separates if you have the space and money. Combo machines are by definition a compromise.

I'm open to giving you a tour of the machine; just PM me.

-Mark

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for that information and the link, Mark

I have done some more research on this today. At this point I've talked myself out of moving forward on the X31. I found this while searching for sliding table saws and thought it might be cool to have a combo machine. But I think I would be better off just going with a slider and the machines I already have.

If anyone is interested in checking this out, here is the link.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/2447285325.html

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
$1800 is a stupid good price for that machine.

IME, fair market value for used X31s has traditionally been been $3-3.5K. Last street price on that machine (new) was around $6500

-Mark

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
$1800 is a stupid good price for that machine.

IME, fair market value for used X31s has traditionally been been $3-3.5K. Last street price on that machine (new) was around $6500

-Mark

Which is exactly why I was considering the 4 hour drive to check it out.

I wasn't looking for a combo machine, but this sure did look to be a great deal.

I spoke to the guy(Richard) on the phone. He bought the machine ~10 years ago for a project he was working on and used most of the features. Since then, he has only used the saw. He also said that he has some tooling available for it that he would like to sell.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I posted the ad in the Found forum. Maybe someone can take advantage of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS