Antique Tool Collector's Meet at Bethania November 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The November meeting of the M-WTCA will be held in Bethania, NC at Bethania Moravian Church (Fellowship Hall in rear of church)
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=36...p=1&q1=bethania moravian church, bethania, nc
on November 7. The meeting is open to the public but we like to know if you plan to attend as lunch will be provided. PM me or Ed Hobbs (Hobbsed).
Admission: $15 Guests, Members $20 (pay at the door)

Schedule:
07:30 Registration and Swap and Shop Tables open. Coffee, Juice, Moravian Sugar Cake, Soft Drinks
Here's what it looked like last year:
swap_and_sell.jpg

got_woodies.jpg

09:30 Breakout Session Presentation of Displays "Instruments and Tools"
10:00 M-WTCA Business Meeting
11:00 Program: History/Making/Tools and Playing of Unusual Stringed Instruments. Kenneth Bloom will join us for a discussion of the art, history and construction of unusual musical instruments such as the bowed dulcimer, bandura, concert zither, domro and balalaika. http://www.boweddulcimer.com/
11:30 Auction
12:00 Award Winning, Home-made Chicken Pie, Veggies, Salad, Dessert (The lunch is worth the trip folks. Even if you don't have any interest in old tools come for the lunch! It's really that good!...sorry Ed...but it's the truth!)

Bethania is one of the original settlements of what became Winston-Salem. It was settled in 1759 and has many of the original structures, a museum, antique and gift shops. We were given a tour after the meeting last year.

Hope to see you there!

nelsone

New User
Ed
I was really planning to attend, but SAPFM has their meet the same weekend:eusa_doh: and I think I'll gain more personal knowledge from that one. Have fun!

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
12:00 Award Winning, Home-made Chicken Pie, Veggies, Salad, Dessert (The lunch is worth the trip folks. Even if you don't have any interest in old tools come for the lunch! It's really that good!...sorry Ed...but it's the truth!)

That was some feed last year, along with a demo of a lathe type machine.
The meal is worth every cent of the admission and if your lucky you just might find that old used
tool you were looking for at a great price. Put it on your calendar , you won't be disappointed.

Aslo looking for folks to car pool form Cary / Raleigh. Send me a PM.

meredj

Jesse
Corporate Member
I plan on being there. I am not a member yet but plan on sending in my dues shortly.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hope to make the Bethania meet, haven't done that one yet :eusa_pray
Iffin' I can, I'll be contacting ya, Big Chisel :gar-Bi

Roger

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
You don't have to be a member to attend - don't let membership stop anyone from attending.
However, you are encouraged to do that, so that you can be informed of the other local and national meetings of this fine organization.
Onlt $15 for great learning experience, possible bargains and a GREAT meal.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
possible bargains and a GREAT meal.
While buying and bargains are not the only reason for attending (you might learn a few things and meet some seriously interesting people) it does draw the biggest crowd. I'll go so far as to say that there ain't no possible about it. You will make up your membership fee on 1 medium (~$50-$100) tool purchase vs what you'll pay for the same thing if you could find it on Ebay. The added benefit is you'll actually hold it in your hand and get expert advice (if you ask nice) from Randy Osborne, Ray Hoke, Ed Hobbs and many of the other walking encyclopedias we have access to at these meetings. You also get a subscription to a great magazine. I have collected most of my fleet of corrugated sole Stanleys at these meetings and have beat the going rate on Ebay in price and quality evey time. If you have even the slightest interest in old hand tools, foot tools, water powered, etc tools you should check it out. They're not making this stuff anymore. As Killerbeaz says "Saveup!".

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Giving this a bump just in case you haven't seen it. If you want to start a serious collection or small user fleet of hand tools this is a good place to check out.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Received the latest MTWCA publication today :icon_thum
"The Saw in History" reprint originally published by Henry Disston & Sons in 1915. What a wonderful book! Chock full of history, tools, and photos. :banana:

Roger

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My brother from Jacksonville, FL (who also is a woodworker) will be visiting this weekend and I plan to bring him along to Bethania. He's never been to Old Salem so after the Chicken Pie we plan to waddle down there.
A question for anybody who has toured the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts...how much time would you allow for a regular tour? Also...can you tour the cabinetmaker's shop in Old Salem? It's not on the website.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS