Antique Bed to Crib

BKHam

Bradley
User
i did a job recently for some friends. i took their antique (they claimed) white oak bed and turned it into a crib. I took it all apart and combined the head and footboard into the new crib "headboard". the head board and footboard used a crude groove down in the leg to attach. i just extended the groove and combined them.

i used double mortise and tenons with a bolt in between to allow for it to be broken down.

the carvings on the headboard were reglued in positions that didnt stick above the headboard, thus eliminating places for things to get hung on and adding to the safety.

the new wood was flat sawn WO from Capitol City and i'll never buy there again if i can help it. it was case hardened and even with acclimation reacted worse than any wood i've ever used.

the final product is a crib which i pressure tested that converts to a big kid bed. they were happy enough they paid me $200 extra.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 117
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 116
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 126

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Neat project and VERY well executed!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I remember going to Capitol City when it was the only game in town. I think I would try Scott down in New Hill, the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville or Klingspor's next time. Your crib turned out very nicely even if your wood was not what it should have been.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS