Another tip on what NOT to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I think my chisels have it out for me. Another one got me tonight. Luckily no stitches this time, just a small slice on the top of my hand.

I recently lowered the rack that holds my bench chisels to make it easier to reach. It still is a good foot off bench height though. One thing I didn't move is my paraffin wax that I use on the soles of my planes. It was sitting right below my chisels. When absently reaching for my wax I gouged myself on the chisels right above the wax. In hindsight I have made a little iron maiden right above my bench tempting my hands to come get impaled.

So here is a new simple rule: don't put things under exposed sharp tools. Or maybe: don't leave sharp edges exposed. I think I will lower the chisel rack to make sure I am not tempted to put things under those chisels again!
Salem

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I think my chisels have it out for me. Another one got me tonight. Luckily no stitches this time, just a small slice on the top of my hand.

I recently lowered the rack that holds my bench chisels to make it easier to reach. It still is a good foot off bench height though. One thing I didn't move is my paraffin wax that I use on the soles of my planes. It was sitting right below my chisels. When absently reaching for my wax I gouged myself on the chisels right above the wax. In hindsight I have made a little iron maiden right above my bench tempting my hands to come get impaled.

So here is a new simple rule: don't put things under exposed sharp tools. Or maybe: don't leave sharp edges exposed. I think I will lower the chisel rack to make sure I am not tempted to put things under those chisels again!
Salem

I have never liked tool racks that leave sharp tools exposed. They are just an accident waiting to happen. One of my friends made a holder to support his gouges. It was hung on a wall storage cabinet door. One day when he closed the door the jarred it hard enough that about a half-dozen gouges came loose. His left arm and hand looked like he had been on the losing end of a knife fight. As soon as the stitches came out he mounted the gouges in a new holder that was screwed to the wall with no sharp edges exposed.

Pete

eyekode

New User
Salem
I am glad I could learn this lesson with a small cut instead of from multiple gouges!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS