Another Table for Another Daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Our second oldest daughter and her new husband approached me about building yet another table for the entry way into their home.

I came up with this console table to fit the space. It is about 48" long, 15" wide and 30" tall. Constructed out of more of Scott Smiths fine RSRO. One stipulation with the "order" was to stain it as close as I could to match their entry way flooring which looked to me like cherry or red mahogany. I pulled out a can of Minwax Red Mahogany stain and applied one very light coat and followed up with one coat of clear shellac, one coat of gloss wiping varnish and topped it off with four more coats of satin. It came out pretty darn close to the shade of their flooring. They're happy!

100_35901.jpg

100_36011.jpg

Many thanks again to Joe Scharle for spending about 2.5 hours with me to set the bottom shelf nicely between the six legs!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc Some day I will get him to give me some patience instruction!:wsmile:

100_3563.jpg

I am hoping that the next piece I do for a family member will be devoid of stain application!:eusa_hand Piece prior to this one was ebonizing oak.:eek:

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Well done! :icon_thum

I'd say you matched your stain with the floor very well, they look like a near perfect match from the photos.

jhreed

New User
james
I do not know with which I am more impressed, the wood work, or the finish. The piece is elegant. I hate finishing and am terrible at it. I am not good at wood working either, but I enjoy making sawdust.
I know your daughters love their father.
By the way, my son is a Herring Choker, born in Fredricton, N.B.

James

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Wayne, that looks very Classy! One thing you have achieved that a lot of woodworkers can never seem to grasp is the follow through. Meaning they have a good concept, do a decent build and when it comes to the finish it looks ok but ..... well youve seen pix im sure. Or the build isnt that great but the finish is superb! But a superb finish on a so-so build only enhances the flaws of the build, again im sure youve seen these pix also. Buy you have pulled it off w/ spades! Complete follow through! Pat yourself on the back. R.K.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

I know that I just got very lucky with the choice of stain and the existing floor.

Kids like it this way so I can only be glad.:wink_smil

Thanks again for all of your feedback!

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks good in person too!:icon_thum Did you have to dull the finish down? how did the steel wool work?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice! Is the shelf set into dado's in the legs?

Thanks Ed!

No, I just used right angle brackets attached to the leg and underside of the shelf at all 6 points.
Similar to these....

http://www.google.com/products/cata...sa=X&ei=W7qITsOWJ8q5tgfzrbFO&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAA#

(With the inset of the aprons by about 3/8", the dado's in the legs would have to be about 1 1/8" deep - on the 1 1/2" legs in order to get the same inset as the aprons. Thought that this may be too deep.)

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
looks good in person too!:icon_thum Did you have to dull the finish down? how did the steel wool work?

Thanks Fred!

I put a wad of 0000 steel wool in my pocket when I delivered Sat. afternoon and when I suggested it, there was an overwhelming No Dad!!!! We like it just as it is!

Maybe they will change their mind and I will be back with that steel wool trick in hand.

Wayne

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Wayne, That's a good looking table. I'm sure your daughter and her husband are very happy with it.
:eusa_clap

Kettrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS