CA0257BE-EF5F-43DE-968A-34AC181CF4D9.jpeg

47F552A0-826A-46FB-BA00-D2A7F31B34E9.jpeg

DB81D33F-4238-440B-B532-C1898765FFD9.jpeg

4D0EBC00-DFE1-4EBA-8823-B67087E67909.jpeg

42C50AE1-38AE-4F6B-858F-CF5BA45F665F.jpeg

Dakswim

New User
Debra
Thanks so much! It means a lot to have a family heirloom restored! I can’t wait to see it when it arrives. Will send another check when it gets here, or you can just let me know the amount for shipping.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I vaguely remember the post by Dee looking for someone to repair his heirloom rolling pin.

Now that it's done----is there a metal shaft down the center of the roller connecting the 2 handles?

• At the next station, the pin blanks and handles are given their fine outer finishes on a machine with motors and belts that is something like a sander capable of a series of tasks. The outer surface of the rolling pin (or handle) is sanded with two or more types of sandpaper, from a coarse 80-grit paper to a very fine 150-grit paper. The machine then waxes the surface and buffs it to an attractive polish.
  • When the machining and treating of the wood is completed, the rolling pins and their handles are put on carts and taken to the assembly area. Until recently, the assembly work was done by hand, but it is now fully automated. The assembler inserts rods and ball bearings in the bores through the rolling pins and adds nylon bushings that will keep the rods centered in the pins. Wood handles are fitted on the rod ends, and the assembly machine taps the handles firmly in place.

Read more: How rolling pin is made - material, manufacture, making, history, used, parts, product, machine, History

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I didn’t know Dee had asked about a rolling pin, I would think he would repair his own since he is an experienced turner.

most of the heirloom rollers do not have any metal, that is a modern innovation.

as you can see in the first photo of Debra’s rolling pin the handle pin was broken off and the stubb had to be drilled out. They are usually not glued so once most of the material is gone the rest comes out of the hole intact.

the longer part of the original pin, the part that shows, has to be turned down to fit an extension. The extension is then turned, drilled, and glued together with the original part.

the repaired pin is then measured and cut to exact length. Then the handle is replaced with the repaired pin. If all is done correctly the rolling pin looks and works just as it always did.

no part of the repair is visible.

this seems like a very simple repair and it is, but every step holds opportunity for destruction and each operation has to be performed within a few thousandths of an inch with precise alignment.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I didn’t know Dee had asked about a rolling pin, I would think he would repair his own since he is an experienced turner.

You are correct. I found Debra and her original thread. Not Dee.

Nonetheless I've learned about the anatomy of a rolling pin and how it goes together. I originally looked at all of the pictures and wondered "how does this go together?" Scratched my head a lot!

as you can see in the first photo of Debra’s rolling pin the handle pin was broken off and the stubb had to be drilled out. They are usually not glued so once most of the material is gone the rest comes out of the hole intact.

Is the pin a press fit into the roller? And the handle turns on the pin?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS