Another pen for your viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Here is my first Baron pen. The kit is a baron satin nickle pen from Arizonia Silhouette. It is made from Macawood, a freebie blank also from Arizonia Silhouette. It has a CA finish on it. As always, thanks for looking, and any critique is wanted, good, bad, or indifferent.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Oh.. note to self... Don't forget to add the pictures to the post... don't forget to add the pictures to the post... don't forget to add the pictures to the post

baron.JPG

baronopen.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, that is very cool. I love the satin nickle kit and the wood is spectacular. The pen style is a great design too. Did it offer any unusual changes when turning it? I would think that the cap part might be more difficult.
If I give you some more wood would you make me one of those :-D :-D :-D :-D

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Dave, this pen is actually easier to turn than the designer slimline I made for you. The top barrel is the same diameter on the ends, and the bottom barrel is also the same on both ends. This is a rollerball pen, and I'll have to say that writing with it is effortless. It's weighted very well, and it's my new favorite type of kit. Till the next one anyway. They also have fountain pens availiable in this style if that is your fancy. I'll be glad to turn you one. On the upside, I have orders in hand for 3 more pens now! My lathe is now paid for from selling pens.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
How much do pens like that, and other styles go for? How much does wood type change price?

J

jeff...

I could really use a pen like that, nice Clowman!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Clay, that pen is awesome.:icon_thum I really like the style and the finish you put on it looks superb.

D L

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very classy lookin' pen there, Clay!! The finish is impeccable!!

Way to go!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wayne

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Wood type does change the price a bit. Pen blanks go from free, to a buck or 2. I have seen some of the more exotic types prices at 5-10 dollars each. Snakeskin blanks are the highest priced ones I have personally seen. They go for about $30 each. Of course, the price goes up when you start to do laser engraving, and segmented blanks, and custom art, that gets pricey. Another change in price is the type of pen platings. That nickle plating I have pictured here is about 7 bucks ( not including shipping). They do have more expensive, more durable platings for about 12 bucks. I have seen these types of pens sell for about $80 at some sites. But those are from master turners, members of pen turners guilds ... loads of certificates and on and on. I have no idea how much I'll ask for these. I have seen pen kits, that go for about $150.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Wow, Clay...gorgeous pen! ...seems everyone else beat me to the 'can you make me one of those!?!?' post :-D Nice work!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I wouldn't say i have it down pat. It takes me a long time to get it right. I don't think I have ever done one right the first time.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I do a combination of skewing and sanding. I often get little white specks in the finish. I sand/skew down till i get those little specks out, and apply more CA glue.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Clay, Another great looking pen! :eusa_clap Maybe I will get there someday! You are a great example to follow!

PS: Congrats on getting the lathe paid for! That is also my intention also! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS