Another one off the list!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I fired up the 25" jointer/planer today, and she runs like a top!

The first board through was a 20" wide quartersawn white oak that I have been saving for the occasion.

No good board pix yet, but here is a photo of the "fountain" of shavings coming from the planer portion.

Next up is the Straight Line Rip Saw, the 4 head moulder, and then the "big" dust collection system. I can probably get the rip saw operating within a day, with another day for the moulder, but the dust collection system will probably take a couple of weeks of solid work.

All in all, it's great to be getting the equipment operational!

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think you need to come up with some good names for these machines. This one should be the "Mulchinator". Holy cow I can only imagine the blizzard of chips coming out of that one!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I think you need to come up with some good names for these machines. This one should be the "Mulchinator". Holy cow I can only imagine the blizzard of chips coming out of that one!

How about "The BAS-O-MATIC"?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Nice work Scott! Can't wait to see that puppy in action! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I think you need to come up with some good names for these machines.

Sounds like some good polls to post on NCWW ... we will name Scott's machinery (whether he likes it or not) :eek: Get a thread to accept names, then another future thread with a poll to get the votes.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Sounds like some good polls to post on North Carolina Woodworker ... we will name Scott's machinery (whether he likes it or not) :eek: Get a thread to accept names, then another future thread with a poll to get the votes.
Logical, organized and results-oriented. But I think this is much better accomplished sitting in deck chairs, drinking beer and staring at the equipment, then throwing out whacky names :eek:ccasion1

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, does that mean you can do S2S, straight-line ripped QS white oak?

Close... but not yet. I'm vascillating between getting the Mattison SLR operational next, or the "big" dust collection system.

I discovered today that the Oliver "laughed" at the 3 hp Oneida's ability to extract shavings from it... Most likely I will prioritize getting the 25 hp blower and dust collection system up next. That will be a multi-week project though.

I can SLR via the Festool track saw, but it's not very fast.

Jerry, I'm looking forward to seeing those pix!

Bas / Jeremy, methinks that y'all are acting as instigators... again....

Tom, uh.... please define the term "power tool".....

Trent - thanks for "breaking in the Oliver" today! Good luck with your ladder project.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent - thanks for "breaking in the Oliver" today! Good luck with your ladder project.

Scott, it was a pleasure. Thanks so much for a wonderful afternoon of sawdust making and GREAT conversation. :icon_thum Sorry the DC that we rigged up didn't work out. Well, at least it didn't "suck". :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: Sorry, terribly misplaced pun there. :slap: :embaresse

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I discovered today that the Oliver "laughed" at the 3 hp Oneida's ability to extract shavings from it... Most likely I will prioritize getting the 25 hp blower and dust collection system up next. That will be a multi-week project though.

Scott,
I can visualize a 3HP blower on that Oliver. I know a fellow in Martinsville, VA that could be a lot of help with the piping if you're using spiral and don't already have it. Years of experience and generous with his knowledge. I've installed three different systems he made parts for and helped design. He has been in the business many years and makes spiral in-house in many sizes.

Tony Joyce

PS, You should come see the resaw we have on hand now!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Tony - great to hear from you! If anybody could, I figure that you could envision the problems with a 3hp blower and the Oliver! I think that there is a misprint in the Oliver manual though; they told me that 1500 cfm would be adequate for extraction. Maybe 1500 cfm per port, but not for the whole thing (the Oneida is rated at 1550 cfm).

The Buffalo Forge fan is coming along. It's setting in place and has had the outlet reorientated; I still need to fabricate a base and motor mount for it.

Re the piping; when I purchased the Mattison at the Hooker Furniture Auction they let me come in and remove a lot of pipe. Some is spiral and some is straight, but I have a couple of hundred feet in sizes between 8" - 20". A few weeks back NCWW members NCTurner and Doug Wilberg stopped by and helped me to lay it out to scale in my back pasture. It looks like I have enough of the right sizes; my biggest challenge will be to make a couple of wye's and figuring out the cut lines to do so. I'll be taking a 16" run over to the Oliver, which should flow adequately.

I'll be sure to give you a call though if I need anything fabricated or advice.

Knowing Steve, whatever resaw that y'all have is bound to be nice! Did you go horizontal or vertical?

Scott

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Hey Tony - great to hear from you! If anybody could, I figure that you could envision the problems with a 3hp blower and the Oliver! I think that there is a misprint in the Oliver manual though; they told me that 1500 cfm would be adequate for extraction. Maybe 1500 cfm per port, but not for the whole thing (the Oneida is rated at 1550 cfm).

The Buffalo Forge fan is coming along. It's setting in place and has had the outlet reorientated; I still need to fabricate a base and motor mount for it.

Re the piping; when I purchased the Mattison at the Hooker Furniture Auction they let me come in and remove a lot of pipe. Some is spiral and some is straight, but I have a couple of hundred feet in sizes between 8" - 20". A few weeks back North Carolina Woodworker members NCTurner and Doug Wilberg stopped by and helped me to lay it out to scale in my back pasture. It looks like I have enough of the right sizes; my biggest challenge will be to make a couple of wye's and figuring out the cut lines to do so. I'll be taking a 16" run over to the Oliver, which should flow adequately.

I'll be sure to give you a call though if I need anything fabricated or advice.

Knowing Steve, whatever resaw that y'all have is bound to be nice! Did you go horizontal or vertical?

Scott

Scott,
1,500 sounds low ,but if you took light passes on 6" boards it would probably work. You didn't get a 25" planer to dress 6" boards though did you:nah:. I figured you had the pipe covered, but thought I'd mention it. The pipe guy is HC Wade(Jimmy Wade) in Martinsville, he did a lot of the furniture plants up there, so he's very good. He makes first rate fittings and pipe and is reasonable on pricing. On the 25" double side planer I hooked up in Greensboro, I used an 8" on the top and 6" on the bottom into a 12" into a 26". We didn't have any problems unless I took a very heavy pass with the bottom(greater than 1/4"). A fellow once told me you couldn't have too much suction as long as it didn't suck the wrenches you were using to change cutter heads out of your hand(moulder).

The resaw(vertical) we have is one that was at the IWF two years ago, I've been waiting for him to come in one morning and say let's hook it up, I know he wants too. He told me the other evening he had it sold, so I don't guess we'll get to see it run. It was a bargain price! Guess I'll have to keep using the one we have, it uses the narrow blade so it's more economical to run.

Tony Joyce

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tony, are you talking about that giant gray bandsaw - I think that it was in the booth behind you? (Sunhill, if I recall?) Man, that thing was massive; must have weighted 10,000 lbs or more!

Thanks for the tip about Jimmy Wade; I'll definitely keep him in mind.

I have a 4 head moulder that requires at least 4000 cfm; by the time that I'm done with the dust collection installation I'll be surprised if it couldn't suck the chrome off of a trailer ball!

I need to make a trip up to see y'all. I've got some ultra-wide QSWO boards to show off that ought to make Steve drool a bit...

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Tony, are you talking about that giant gray bandsaw - I think that it was in the booth behind you? (Sunhill, if I recall?) Man, that thing was massive; must have weighted 10,000 lbs or more!
Yes, it is white and blue, and it was at the Sunhill booth. It's supposed to be sold, waiting on the check. I was hoping we would hook it up, another month and it would have been.

I'm sure Steve would enjoy seeing the QSWO, I know I would.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS