Another lurker just getting around to saying Hi.

Vstrom

Don
Corporate Member
Growing up, my Grandfather was a cabinet maker and my parents were do-it-yourselfers. I would spend my high school summers working with my Grandfather, that's where I gained my eye for detail and my ambition for perfection. I joined the Air Force straight out of high school and spent 4 years working Avionics on C-130's. Forced out medically, I ended up in the Raleigh area, where I have stayed for over 30 years. Bought my first house at age 23 and began filling the 1 car garage with wood working tools. My main focus for years was home improvements and the occasional bird house or whirly-gig. 2 years ago I quit drinking and finally bought myself a lathe, not sure which hobby was more expensive. As much as I enjoy turning, I find it severely interferes with getting other things accomplished. It is way too easy to pick up a gouge and make 30 minutes disappear. It just took me over 2 weeks to build 2 bluebird houses and I've been working on a sewing cabinet for my wife for over a year.

I enjoy the forum and hope to contribute as I can. Wish I could have attended the picnic, but we were camping in SC this past weekend. I'm getting ready to have foot surgery which is going to keep me out of work for a month. I plan to spend that time trying to learn lightburn software; if I'm successful, I'll buy a laser engraver.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don,
Welcome to non-lurking status. It sounds like based on your experience you ill have a lot to contribute. Looking forward to hear about your laser engraver experience.

Good luck with your surgery. Having had numerous knee surgeries myself, I would recommend that you follow the instructions of the physical therapists to the letter. Though it may seem that the all went to the Marquis De Sade School of torture techniques, they know their stuff.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Don,
Thank you for your service.
We are glad you found us and look forward to seeing some of your work.

Pat M

Belg
Senior User
Growing up, my Grandfather was a cabinet maker and my parents were do-it-yourselfers. I would spend my high school summers working with my Grandfather, that's where I gained my eye for detail and my ambition for perfection. I joined the Air Force straight out of high school and spent 4 years working Avionics on C-130's. Forced out medically, I ended up in the Raleigh area, where I have stayed for over 30 years. Bought my first house at age 23 and began filling the 1 car garage with wood working tools. My main focus for years was home improvements and the occasional bird house or whirly-gig. 2 years ago I quit drinking and finally bought myself a lathe, not sure which hobby was more expensive. As much as I enjoy turning, I find it severely interferes with getting other things accomplished. It is way too easy to pick up a gouge and make 30 minutes disappear. It just took me over 2 weeks to build 2 bluebird houses and I've been working on a sewing cabinet for my wife for over a year.

I enjoy the forum and hope to contribute as I can. Wish I could have attended the picnic, but we were camping in SC this past weekend. I'm getting ready to have foot surgery which is going to keep me out of work for a month. I plan to spend that time trying to learn lightburn software; if I'm successful, I'll buy a laser engraver.
Don, from one newcomer to a another, hey. Good luck with the surgery, oh the golden years! Hope you learn that program while recouping.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome Don Congrats on losing a bad habit and gaining a new hobby

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don, from one newcomer to a another, hey. Good luck with the surgery, oh the golden years! Hope you learn that program while recouping.
Take it from someone who survived the 60's twice the person who coined the phrase golden years was color blind. It is really rust not gold. LOL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS