Another goofy Woodpecker product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pviser

New User
paul
Just when I thought that I had all of the measuring and marking devices that I could possibly use, Woodpeckers has unveiled their latest product, the soon-to-be-famous Fibonacci Gauge. I will rush to my computer tomorrow to plop down $140 for the full set. Then I will spend the rest of the summer trying to learn how to use it in furniture design. Another example of a tool that I didn't realize that I needed.

they keep something new coming out about every two weeks it seems.... I cannot keep up I do not have that much money.... I like the red aluminum I own but it is getting a little silly at this point... but it is good to keep their machines and employees working in the USA so I am happy anything they can do to keep that happening

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella
Woodpeckers is one of the few companies that think outside the box (along w/ BridgeCity Tools in my opinion). Why do you feel the need to bash a company for developing a new tool only because you feel you don't need it? We need companies that think outside of the box; it drives innovation.

They are also one of the few companies that manufacture in the USA. For that reason alone they deserve our respect as others ship our jobs overseas.

Give it a rest.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Brian, Relax, I have read 2 posts from you in the last few mins and both seem to be a little too serious . Most of us are just woodworkers and not math scholars. No one is bashing woodpeckers for thinking outside of the box. It's just when you look at all of the measuring devices that have come out in the last few years, it gets a little overwhelming to think of how many way we can measure an angle or a distance. Yes I own a few woodpecker tools that I felt were something I would use and not sit on my shelf. I am quite happy with them but there are many that the cost vs benefit doesn't add up and I think that was the point that was being made here.

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella
"and I think that was the point that was being made here."

With a thread title "Another Goofy Woodpecker product" I think the point he was trying to make was clear. And I stand by my last response.

"and I think that was the point that was being made here."

With a thread title "Another Goofy Woodpecker product" I think the point he was trying to make was clear. And I stand by my last response.

Well in my response Brian I did mention the point anything to keep a USA company working and making money... I for one would love to have a complete collection of everything they make but they keep on coming out with stuff that they are only selling temporarily and I think that is what is starting to annoy some of us if we do not have the money to buy it now and then it goes away and it retired..... I give them my money when ever I can but it still has reach a point to annoy me

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella
Ok I got it. If I can't afford a tool and I think I don't need it and they annoy me in the process of being innovative then it's cool to bash them.

Thanks!

Ok I got it. If I can't afford a tool and I think I don't need it and they annoy me in the process of being innovative then it's cool to bash them.

Thanks!

current customers are frustrated but hopefully they will find new ones to replace us.... I am not bashing them.... alot of there one time tools I would like to get but do not have the money to get them in the window they are for sale that's all.... The quality of there stuff has helped my shop and as I said I would love to have the complete collection but I cannot drip $125 to them every month to buy the tool of the month that will not be made again

the point of this thread is not bashing it is just frustrated with their no model of how they are trying to sell stuff and yes I did tell the Woodpecker rep this at the Charlotte woodworking show along with a few other improvements I thought they should make to other things they sell so YEA I support them I just cannot afford them

Cato

New User
Bob
I probably need a Fibonnaci gauge or one of their expensive squares, but then I would not have an excuse for my mistakes!!

I think they make some pretty nifty tools for the woodworker, as do many companies. Some may appeal to you but not to me and so forth and so on.

The only thing I have by them is a little rule stop for my 6 inch Starrett ruler, but that little sucker is so handy for marking layout lines.

Ralrick

New User
Rick

Thanks!

Brian - I think you may have missed the intent of the original post from Paul. No matter the actual words in the post, sometimes the intent is more subtle to grasp is a forum of this nature. I don't think any malice was intended toward woodpecker nor was he trying to imply they didn't offer good products. I would guess his post was done with a smile and in a joking fashion.

As I have tried to teach my teenagers, there is an appropriate time and tone to use the phrase "Chill, Dad" and there are other times, situations and/or tones where that same phrase will have negative repercussions for them.

In this case, Chill Brian, the original comment was said with a smile (as was this reply) :wsmile: And now I'm off to study the fibonacci numbers - quite the interesting read if you have the time to really study 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21 . . . . . . .

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Personally, I have absolutely no idea what kind of a woodworker would order one of these...

...so, in order to figure it out, I have ordered the 12" model.

For this particular tool, I think that should have changed the color to gold, or magnetized it in which case they could have called it:

(wait for it...)

The Magna-Phi-er.

In fact, I like the one-time tools, not because they are so special, or so well-made, or so, uh... red, but because I invariably forget that I have ordered them, so it's always like a mini-Christmas when a Woodpeckers box shows up.

K

MikeH

New User
Mike
Personally, I have absolutely no idea what kind of a woodworker would order one of these...

...so, in order to figure it out, I have ordered the 12" model.

For this particular tool, I think that should have changed the color to gold, or magnetized it in which case they could have called it:

(wait for it...)

The Magna-Phi-er.

In fact, I like the one-time tools, not because they are so special, or so well-made, or so, uh... red, but because I invariably forget that I have ordered them, so it's always like a mini-Christmas when a Woodpeckers box shows up.

K

That is AWESOME Kevin!!! I agree with the mini-Christmas. I've done that several times with tools that really aren't one off's, but that I forgot I had them.

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks to Kevin, Rick, and others who have responded to my post in the same lighthearted spirit in which I wrote my thoughts last night. I have grown to love Woodpeckers a bit too much as my growing collection of red things vividly attests! I use the Rule Stops almost every weekend, and I bought their Story Stick two weeks ago. That said, it's okay to find some humor in, for example, the Pythagoras Gauge which evoked waves of commentary and photos of copycat shop-made versions on Lumberjocks. My first reaction to the Fibonacci Gauge was amusement, but there may be some brain surgeons among us who find this new tool just as useful as I find the Rule Stop to be. Anyway, thanks guys.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks to Kevin, Rick, and others who have responded to my post in the same lighthearted spirit in which I wrote my thoughts last night. I have grown to love Woodpeckers a bit too much as my growing collection of red things vividly attests! I use the Rule Stops almost every weekend, and I bought their Story Stick two weeks ago. That said, it's okay to find some humor in, for example, the Pythagoras Gauge which evoked waves of commentary and photos of copycat shop-made versions on Lumberjocks. My first reaction to the Fibonacci Gauge was amusement, but there may be some brain surgeons among us who find this new tool just as useful as I find the Rule Stop to be. Anyway, thanks guys.

I agree. Thanks to for keeping things lighthearted. There are too many things in this world we need to be serious about. Woodworking and tools are not one of them.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I agree. Thanks to for keeping things lighthearted. There are too many things in this world we need to be serious about. Woodworking and tools are not one of them.
Well, I feel very strongly about the Fibonacci sequence, but don' t feel that strongly about phi.:rotflm:( I was a math major in college. With way too many number theory courses.)

Rob

New User
Rob
I would love a set. Would be cool for hollow forms. But alas, I'm saving for parts for a vacuum chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS