Another game board

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
This is the first board I made- it was a little too big for the original project so I found another use for it. Thanks again to Donn for sanding it level for me. It is made of exotic Wihla wood. (Wihla = What I Had Lying Around)
The top is maple and walnut and the box is sapele- I think. A neighbor gave it to me so not exactly sure what it is.

Tried a couple of things I hadn't done before so, even though I am not in love with the colors, it was a
Good learning project.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mark, the game board is beautiful and your craftsmanship is outstanding! At our Friday lunch (we missed you), I learned about "Amazon Handmade"....I bet you could market these!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nice job. Interesting cock beading on the drawer too. "Wihla" wood is pretty versatile.

What's happened to the earlier game board reproduction that you were making for your sister?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice job. Interesting cock beading on the drawer too. "Wihla" wood is pretty versatile.

What's happened to the earlier game board reproduction that you were making for your sister?
Still needs delivered to Atlanta, but she loved the pics!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good work there, Mark.
Silly question: with the maple and walnut, is the grain of the squares aligned merely for visual aesthetics?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Good work there, Mark.
Silly question: with the maple and walnut, is the grain of the squares aligned merely for visual aesthetics?
No, it is the way I learned to make the board. You start with maple and walnut strips (Fred P is better at this than me) a bit longer than you will need and edge glue them. Once dried you then crosscut them so you now have a strip with alternating squares, and then flip every other strip - so the grain ends up all in the same direction. I think the only way to get the grain in any different direction would be to cut individual squares..... that seems like a lot of work....!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS