Another 18th century jointer is born

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I spent last weekend at the Woodwright School with Bill Anderson and his make a traditional jointer plane. I had a really good time and learned so many interesting tid bits of information that I'm still processing.
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG

When left on Sunday afternoon I had a plane that was working and only needed a few details with a finish. I chose antique oil just a couple of light coats rubbed out with some wool.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Looking forward to an update when you’ve had a chance to put to some use.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

cmboggs

Chris
User
That is class that has been on my 'bucket list' to take for quite sometime now.

Nice to hear that you had a good time.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris, if you get the chance to take it I highly recommend that you do. Bill is a lot of fun to be around and a fine instructor.
By the way it was really nice meeting you yesterday.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Chris, if you get the chance to take it I highly recommend that you do. Bill is a lot of fun to be around and a fine instructor.
By the way it was really nice meeting you yesterday.
Hey Richard
Did you get to see Roy while you were there?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Richard, that is a real beauty! Will you be building additional models?
Donn, I'm thinking a couple smoothing planes and a jack plane. I've been looking at blade sources, I found a couple reasonable price.

Reactions: drw

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Another guy and I were students in an early (first?) jointer plane class at Bill’s home workshop back in 2008. This plane is just over 28” long.
B069FD74-344B-481F-9CB8-9D806A761877.jpeg
image.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Donn, I'm thinking a couple smoothing planes and a jack plane. I've been looking at blade sources, I found a couple reasonable price.

Look at the Hock blades. They're not cheap but they're excellent quality and heftier than many plane blades. You can also buy plane blades from Lee Valley.

Where did they find American Beech blanks? I looked for American Beech lumber awhile back and couldn't find it so I bought some European Beech to try.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS