Another 18th century jointer is born

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You would have to speak to Bill on that he supplied the materials, my info is it's from the hills of NC exactly where I don't know, it was air dried for a while.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes of course he charged for it, it was 130.00 that included a tapered iron sharpened and ready to go.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Richard,
That plane is AWESOME and probably a joy to use.
I can't imagine getting the bed angle correct and opening the rest of the mouth - I would be SO nervous to screw-up a 30 inch piece of beech!o_O

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had some good coaching, and little prayer didn't hurt.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had some good coaching, and little prayer didn't hurt.
Maybe that is why things don't work out for me - I get some coaching, things go wrong and a NUMBER of expletives are heard!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Richard,
That plane is AWESOME and probably a joy to use.
I can't imagine getting the bed angle correct and opening the rest of the mouth - I would be SO nervous to screw-up a 30 inch piece of beech!o_O
When making mine, I drilled too deep whilst hogging out the throat. The patch is hidden under the blade.
37275403-A5D5-419F-8265-92E560A1A41B.jpeg

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe that is why things don't work out for me - I get some coaching, things go wrong and a NUMBER of expletives are heard!
I did bring out a few expletive terms while doing this project, terms like *** came up. I hope I don't get scolded for that.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Donn, I'm thinking a couple smoothing planes and a jack plane. I've been looking at blade sources, I found a couple reasonable price.

Hey Richard
You might be aware already of this blade maker- Ron Hock out in California. I've been using his blades to upgrade older Stanley planes and Bailey planes over the years. Take a look at his site if you haven't already.
Depending on how long you want the blade, you can get by in this life time with a shorter blade and wedge if you can go with that.

It looks like Bill's earlier blade on Pop Pop's plane used a short version?

Blades and Plans for Krenov-style Wooden Planes

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, thanks Dan, I have used the hock blades on a few of my planes, he however dose not make a tapered iron for a single iron plane. Veritas dose, so I'll be giving them a try for a smoother and a trying plane of that style.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS