Announcing my involuntary early retirement at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Ken, congratulations! I've learned one of the best benefits of retirement is not having to rush or hurry to do things; working at your own pace is wonderful. :cool:

Last edited:

Glennbear

Glenn
Best of luck Ken, I had to get out at 58 since I could no longer afford to live and work in the Northeast. I took my pension and ran to Virginia, it was tight until SS kicked in at 62 but no regrets. Early on I heard something which turned out to be true, "Retirement is a license to overextend yourself" without a work schedule to set parameters time management becomes a whole new ball game. :wsmile:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Planning to take things easier and hopefully not get overextended. But maybe be able to finish projects a little quicker than I do now. No plans to go commercial - might eventually sell some stuff at craft shows if I start to gather more than I can give away to relatives, but just want to start working on some of the bucket-list projects like making a tall clock and an acoustic guitar eventually. Lots of other things I want to do first. Like a lot more segmented turnings.

I might even experiment with some metal working - who knows. I have a small metal lathe that I've never even taken the cosmoline off of.

I have less than 18 months until I turn 65, so COBRA will carry me until then, when Medicare kicks in. Wife is still working but will probably retire at the end of the year.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Planning to take things easier and hopefully not get overextended. But maybe be able to finish projects a little quicker than I do now. No plans to go commercial - might eventually sell some stuff at craft shows if I start to gather more than I can give away to relatives, but just want to start working on some of the bucket-list projects like making a tall clock and an acoustic guitar eventually. Lots of other things I want to do first. Like a lot more segmented turnings.

I might even experiment with some metal working - who knows. I have a small metal lathe that I've never even taken the cosmoline off of.

I have less than 18 months until I turn 65, so COBRA will carry me until then, when Medicare kicks in. Wife is still working but will probably retire at the end of the year.

"acoustic guitar" yes you can and I have a feeling it won't be the last either. A word of caution... (Yoda voice on) Very addictive guitar building is (Yoda voice off). I built 3 bass commissions this summer and I'm planing one a lap steel, if I can find the time, just for the fun of it.

Of your anything like me you gotta stay busy to stay out of trouble.

it's natures way of telling you somethings wrong
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0Vu_utUZY

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
"acoustic guitar" yes you can and I have a feeling it won't be the last either. A word of caution... (Yoda voice on) Very addictive guitar building is (Yoda voice off). I built 3 bass commissions this summer and I'm planing one a lap steel, if I can find the time, just for the fun of it.

Of your anything like me you gotta stay busy to stay out of trouble.

it's natures way of telling you somethings wrong
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0Vu_utUZY

Jeff, where there pictures of the 3 builds? I don't recall them, guess it didn't happen.....

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Ken congratulations! And condolences. Been there done that got no tshirt.
Mine was medical and i could not sit at a desk one more day pretending I was contributing.
I had already resigned myself to the possibility after riding the "dummy desk" waiting on any project no one else wanted to do. There is an adjustment period. After a while it sank in and i kinda like it. Miss people i worked with but such is life. I till see the ones i really liked anyhow.
Once the wing healed and i could do some of what i wanted it evolved into a new life. Yep, not so bad after a little time to adapt. Good luck and enjoy it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors