.... and the cradle will ROCK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Got a lot done on the doll cradle project last night.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

I used a solid panel bottom, and attached the rockers with sliding dovetails:

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

More detail pics in my album.

Now all that's left to do is a little more paring to clean up the corners of the bottom panel groove, and sand out the machine marks/ease the corners. I'm interested in what you guys think of this design (I mostly made it up as I went along). I think the weakest point is the top (dovetailed) part of the rockers - I tried to make that as wide as I could. Any feedback appreciated.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Insom, wonderful looking cradle. Some little girl is gonna have a Merry Christmas! I made quite a few of those some years back, over 20 years ago when the Cabbage Patch kid craze was at its peak. I used the old Shopsmith plan that had the sides raised at the head end of the cradle. I also had a problem with the rockers being weak. Kids have a tendency to drag these cradles around and if the rocker catches on a door threshold or something it will snap off. To eliminate this problem I put a stretcher running from rocker to rocker and doweled the rockers to it. Not the most elegant solution but I didn't have any more broken rockers and it was not obvious unless you looked carefully. Maybe you can come up with a better idea. Very nice job and a lovely inlay!!!!:icon_thum

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Insom, that turned out very nicely. As for your concern about the weakest point, the only thing I can think of that would improve that would be to use thicker stock for your rockers. But still, as long as your current sliding DT is I would think that it is plenty strong enough. I take it you are concerned about any shearing force that might be applied to it?

Again, very nicely done.:icon_thum
D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Yeah, biggest concern is lateral forces on the rocker -- like being drug across the floor or over a threshold. A friend of mine made a couple of doll cribs (not rocking cradles like this), and he says that the first thing little girls do with them is CLIMB IN! 8-O :lol:

I made the rockers out of 3/4" thick stock (everything else is 5/8", except 1/2" for the bottom panel). I used a 1/2" 10° DT bit - cutting just deep enough to hold it securely, without taking too much of a bite out of the rockers themselves. I kind of thought about the stretcher idea, and I wondered how that would work... I think I might just do that. That would make it official: the most over-engineered doll cradle of all time!!! :p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My wife's grandfather made a cradle for her mother, many years ago. Not constructed nearly as nice as what you've done. Screwed and plugged sides, and the runners just nailed on through the bottom panel. It has held up perfectly and it's on it's third generation. My wife used to sit in it, and my daugther has throughly put it through many strength tests herself. I don't think that you will have a problem....unless you try to ship it via USPS, they can break anything. It looks really great, I am impressed:eusa_clap
Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Beautiful joinery! I like the inlay too!
IMHO the strecher is a good idea. Especially since it'd hardly be seen.
Nice work!

Monty

New User
Monty
Finally got back in the shop tonight (there was a pestilence on our house last week... we all managed to survive). Finished up the sanding, and added a stretcher for better support for the rockers (thanks for the idea, Big Mike). Here it is all glued up, with a coat of GF Seal-a-cell:

IMG_1592.jpg

I used sliding dovetails again to attach the stretcher to the rockers:

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

The strecher is glued to the rockers and to the bottom panel, and will keep the rockers centered (the rockers are not glued in). The bottom panel floats in its groove, with about 1/16" clearance. It's snug, but can be moved with firm pressure - should be just right to allow for wood movement. I'm thinking about firing a single brad through each end of the bottom panel right in the middle, to keep it centered.

IMG_1587.jpg

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job Insom.:icon_thum I like the way you were able to incorporate the stretcher without too much trouble. Good idea using the sliding DT to tie everything together. I have a feeling that cradle will be in your family for generations.

D L

Big Mike

New User
Mike
You just gotta admire a man that does something right. A stretcher attached with sliding dovetails. :icon_thum That is the way to do things....most excellent Insom!:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS