And so the new shop begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Been suffering from PMS for six months now, no woodworking.:mad: (PMS = Parked Machines Syndrome)

They started digging the footings today, so the new shop is on it's way. More than 3 months to get Moore County permits approved.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1603E.jpg
    IMG_1603E.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 726

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Congrats! Did you crack a bottle of champagne across the footings? :eek:ccasion1 It is certainly cause for much celebrations. I was hoping you would share your build with us. Those of us without a real shop can learn and live vicariously through yours.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
We considered a monolithic slab versus foundations, block and a slab. Because the grade and the amount of fill a monolithic slab would need we went the foundation route.

Foundations being poured.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pouring Foundation E.jpg
    Pouring Foundation E.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 660

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Looks good - you beat us to it! We'll be breaking ground on the house, (1+ bays of the slightly over-sized 3-car garage will serve as my shop for the time being) early Sept if all goes as planned. Exciting times - looking good!

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Willem,
Where did you decide to build.? I would love to come by and check it out next time I am in West End.
Matt

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Looks good - you beat us to it! We'll be breaking ground on the house, (1+ bays of the slightly over-sized 3-car garage will serve as my shop for the time being) early Sept if all goes as planned. Exciting times - looking good!

Enjoy and good luck. Been there, after 25 years of no woodwork and a career that almost never had me home, my shop started in 2002 in a three car garage in my house in California. It all started because we needed a dining room set and even at $10,000+ it still came from Asia with thin veneer and stained wood. The big advantage was it quickly grew to a stage where I could spend no more money, as I ran out of space and had nowhere to put anything new.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem,
Where did you decide to build.? I would love to come by and check it out next time I am in West End.
Matt

It is on the border of Pinehurst and Foxfire, a development with 12 lots all 6 acres each, called Autumn Ridge.

Call me if you head this way, we can do a lunch or something.

Last edited:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Congrats! I just finished my build. What size shop are you building? Good luck.

Red

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Foundations poured, block is done, next is fill, compact, moisture barrier, conduit for a few floor 240 and 120 outlets, wire mesh and then we will pour the slab. Building inspector tomorrow morning before we place the fill, we cleared and cleaned up inside to firm ground after the pic was taken.

I got lucky with the electrician, he will stand behind the inspection, do the cable to the shop, sub-panel, breakers and rough in the wires and boxes. The rest he allows me to do, which is all the switches, outlets, lights etc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Foundation shop.png
    Foundation shop.png
    533.3 KB · Views: 564

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Waiting for slab, sealed, reinforcing in, 3 x 240V and 1 x 120V floor outlet boxes installed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Floor boxes.jpg
    Floor boxes.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 429
  • Slab sealed and reinforced.jpg
    Slab sealed and reinforced.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 408

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I mean in process of planing a shop. What are those metal pieces....metal expansion joints without having to cut the slab after if sets up? What exactly are they called ? Please pardon my ignorance here and Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors