Anchor Hardwoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Just returned from Anchor Hardwoods, Wilmington, to pick up a little Red Oak. John helped me quickly, and even planed the stock. Living in Hampstead (17 MI North), it is convenient for me to stop at a nearby big blue box store for small quantities of lumber, especially since I stop there so often for other shop materials and supplies, but this convenienvce blinds me to prices! Here, I was not only able to get the Red Oak I wanted, and get it thicker than the standard 3/4" box store limitation, which was a big plus for this job, but I was also able to get it at half the price of the other guys!

Kodos to Anchor for good prices and great service. It is well worth the trip and now I'll be making more.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad to hear that their Wilmington Store is still thriving after the failure of the Raleigh store. I really liked their stock and their helpfulness while they were here.

Support our local lumber dealers for sure. The hardwood available at the big box stores is limited and overpriced.

They're a great place for DIY stuff, but not quality hardwoods.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I went to the Raleigh store once and bought some cherry and poplar. The offered to give me a discount once I mentioned NCWW, but I wasn't qualified at the time so I declined. But the fact they couldn't make it in Raleigh makes me wonder if there is some sort of hex on the area for lumber companies. i remember Bechen Brothers came into the area from Ohio I think and did okay for awhile but then they left. Then Raleigh Hardwoods came into downtown and was there before they moved to East Raleigh where they now specialize in sheet goods. I wonder why I have to drive to Steve Wall or the Hardwood Store to have a good selection? It's a bit far to go to Wilmington.

Roy G

dustin510

New User
Dustin
I went to the Raleigh store once and bought some cherry and poplar. The offered to give me a discount once I mentioned NCWW, but I wasn't qualified at the time so I declined. But the fact they couldn't make it in Raleigh makes me wonder if there is some sort of hex on the area for lumber companies. i remember Bechen Brothers came into the area from Ohio I think and did okay for awhile but then they left. Then Raleigh Hardwoods came into downtown and was there before they moved to East Raleigh where they now specialize in sheet goods. I wonder why I have to drive to Steve Wall or the Hardwood Store to have a good selection? It's a bit far to go to Wilmington.

Roy G

Roy,
My guess as to why the Raleigh branch shut down might be because of competing national level stores like Woodcraft or Klingspor. There really isn't any competition in Wilmington. Just my thought :dontknow:

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Customer service and selection at Anchor is great. That said, I drove an hour from Oak Island to get there Saturday. I called to check their hours before making my trip and the answering machine said they were in the back working. When I got there I discovered the store had been closed an hour when I got that message. I know there must be a lot of excuses/reasons this happened but the point is, it appears, if you can't talk to a human you cannot trust any information.

dustin510

New User
Dustin
I'm not sure Klingspor is a national level retailer - aren't the three NC stores the only 3?

Henry
Henry you're absolutely right. There are just the few Klingspor here in NC. I guess what I was trying to say (or dig hole deeper) Raleigh is a bit more flooded with competition. I've been the the Raleigh branch of Anchor once before it was closed and had a pleasant experience. The many times I've been to the Wilmington one I've had a matched pleasant experience. So all in all... +1 for Anchor!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Dustin - agreed the Raleigh area market has more competition.
I too liked shopping the choices provided, and the experience at the Anchor store while it was here. If I ever have the opportunity, I will certainly visit the Wilmington store.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS