An older project..pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Now that Woodworkersweb is back online I was able to access some pictures that had been stored there, over to this site. This is my first and only commisioned furniture piece, so far. The client wanted a desk to match his cabinets as it was to be located in the kitchen. It is soft maple and maple ply. I did my first re-saw on it to create the faux frame and panel side. The drawers are 1/2 blind DTs. I inlayed a aluminum strip to act as the runners for the hanging file drawer. Everything was built around his computer equipment, and his space requirements for the desk. He stated with a sketched design from HD, and I took it from there, while he was out of town for 3 weeks. This was the most nerveracking project I've done so far, I was paid in full to start. I think it came out nice, but I would have liked to have more evenly colored wood for the top. But that was all I could fnd in 6/4 soft Maple at NC hardwoods, it's got some character to it. Thanks for looking. Dave:)

Finisheddesk008.jpg

Finisheddesk012.jpg

Finisheddesk009.jpg

Finisheddesk013.jpg

Finisheddesk014.jpg

Any construction critique will be appreciated, the design wasn't my call, as was the wood choice. Thanks for your opinions. Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice work Dave. I think it's excellent. Are those full extension drawer runners? What about the finish? What's that made up of?

-clay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Insomiac, yea it's been posted before, but I am proud of it. Thanks again for your kind comments :-D .

Clay, the finish is blonde shellac, with a wipe on poly afterward. I made several finish samples for the client to chose from and this is what he chose. Thanks for looking. I can make things out of real wood, honestly!:oops:
Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Very nice, Dave! Love to see pretty work and when you get paid for it so much the better! Good job!:icon_thum

woodguy1975

New User
John
Very nice. That is the first time I've seen it. I like the design. It looks like you took your time and got the jointery just right.

:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Big Mike, yea, I got paid for it but not much, as my first commisioned piece I really undersold myself. I only charged $1250 for it.

WG, yes I did take my time and that resulted in a $5 hour labor rate, it took almost 60 hours.
But heck, I learned a whole lot, and will do better the next time something like that comes my way. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS