American Flag project completed

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
American flag, fly is made out of mahogany and poplar wood and the union is made from purple heart. The stars are once fired 9mm brass that my father had shot years ago. Oil based polyurethane finish.

Fun project but if I ever make another one I need to figure out a better way to cut down the brass

awldune

Sam
User
Fun project but if I ever make another one I need to figure out a better way to cut down the brass

Out of curiosity, how *did* you trim the brass?

I guess you could make a sort of jam chuck on the lathe that the casing would fit tightly on, then use either a parting tool or a file to trim off the portion that you want to keep?

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Out of curiosity, how *did* you trim the brass?

I guess you could make a sort of jam chuck on the lathe that the casing would fit tightly on, then use either a parting tool or a file to trim off the portion that you want to keep?

Well now that you mention it that might have worked better. I used a block of wood with a hole drilled in it that I put the brass in then trimmed it on the bandsaw and brought it down to final size on the sander. A quick hit with a brass brush in the drill press to clean off any loose bits.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very interesting. I like the use of the spent brass. I assume this will be used as a decoration rather than a cutting board?

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Great looking flag. If you have 9x19mm parabellum casings and if the wood is more than 3/4" thick you wouldn't need to trim the brass. Just drill 3/4" deep holes for each casing.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Made a second one out of shotgun shells, obviously this one had to be a lot bigger proportionately. PS i like cutting the plastic off of shotgun shells a lot more than cutting brass :p

dpfeiffer

New User
Don
Made a second one out of shotgun shells, obviously this one had to be a lot bigger proportionately. PS i like cutting the plastic off of shotgun shells a lot more than cutting brass :p
View attachment 188779View attachment 188780
What is the size of the one with shotgun shells?? I just started making a few of these but they are done with pine and stained but look great but still need to do something with the star field and I love this idea. My flags are roughly 20”x36”.

Yours have a much more formal look and I had thought about doing my next ones with walnut and maple or cherry.

Fantastic job, keep it up!!!!!

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
What is the size of the one with shotgun shells?? I just started making a few of these but they are done with pine and stained but look great but still need to do something with the star field and I love this idea. My flags are roughly 20”x36”.

Yours have a much more formal look and I had thought about doing my next ones with walnut and maple or cherry.

Fantastic job, keep it up!!!!!

The smaller round metal “shank” of the shell is 13/16” so that’s what I’ve been drilling the hole for and the larger portion of the head is 113/128”, sorry for the exactness not sure what the next closet dimension to that would be.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors