Ambrosia Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

saw4you

New User
Jack
Just got 20 tons of ambrosia maple logs, is anyone interested. It will be green off the sawmill.

Thanks Jack

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jack,

How long will it take for the maple to dry once sawn? (4/4 stock)

What will your price be?

Can you post some pics of it once you've sawn some of it?

I'd be really interested if it's pretty dark stuff.

THANKS!

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Ambrosia Maple:widea: ,did somebody say Ambrosia Maple:eusa_clapWould be very interested.Will there be any turning blanks?

saw4you

New User
Jack
I have a 3' log that I squared down, perfect for turning blanks. That is also ambrosia maple.

Jack

PChristy

New User
Phillip
How would AM do for scrolling? I know it make beautiful turnings but what about scrolling -

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jack,
I am interested in some 4/4 if you have it and any bowl blanks if available.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
20 tons????? That's a lot of wood! Interested? I guess. If you don't know what to do with it and need to get rid of it.

OK, enough with the charade! It's wood. OF COURSE WE'RE INTERESTED!

Some pics of the stuff for those that don't know Ambrosia Maple (I didn't - even though I have a couple of boards of the stuff :)) -> http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/maple, ambrosia.htm

J

jeff...

I've had really good luck with air drying maple. (someone correct me if I'm wrong please) I think it's max safe moisture content loss per day is like 7% which is significantly higher than something like oak or sycamore, which is right around 3% per day. So I guess what I'm saying is it's a pretty forgiving wood to air dry and similar to air drying walnut or cherry. Only bad thing about maple is it likes to check on the end grain - it needs to be forced with endgrain sealer to loose it's moisture out of the face and not the endgrain. Otherwise it will loose to much out of the end grain and splitting will result. This is true of most woods and sealing with endgrain sealer should be considered a best practice when drying any lumber of value.

U.C coatings sells Ancorseal for $65.00 for a 5 gallon bucket or $32.00 a gallon (that includes shipping via the big brown truck) it's a good investment to have on hand - you know. And besides when you get the 5 gallon bucket the UPS man will ask you what's in the box :)

Thanks

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
How would AM do for scrolling? I know it make beautiful turnings but what about scrolling -

Philip AM is very nice scrolling wood. You just have to becareful as to what patterns you use as the graining is so nice you don't want the wood to take away from your pattern or your pattern to take away for your wood.

I would say you want no need some. :eusa_danc

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Put me down as interested -in some 4/4- as well. Just need to know price & when I can get it.

Regards,
Mike

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jeff,

When coating with anchorseal I know that I should do it as soon as possible after the wood is cut, but besides covering the outside edge, how far onto the board should the anchorseal go. 1 - 2" ?

Thanks,

I've had really good luck with air drying maple. (someone correct me if I'm wrong please) I think it's max safe moisture content loss per day is like 7% which is significantly higher than something like oak or sycamore, which is right around 3% per day. So I guess what I'm saying is it's a pretty forgiving wood to air dry and similar to air drying walnut or cherry. Only bad thing about maple is it likes to check on the end grain - it needs to be forced with endgrain sealer to loose it's moisture out of the face and not the endgrain. Otherwise it will loose to much out of the end grain and splitting will result. This is true of most woods and sealing with endgrain sealer should be considered a best practice when drying any lumber of value.

U.C coatings sells Ancorseal for $65.00 for a 5 gallon bucket or $32.00 a gallon (that includes shipping via the big brown truck) it's a good investment to have on hand - you know. And besides when you get the 5 gallon bucket the UPS man will ask you what's in the box :)

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jimmy, I'll answer for Jeff re the end sealer.

Basically, you want to thoroughly coat all end grain of the board. Usually I will put on at least 2 if not 3 coats, allowing time in-between to dry.

Try to keep it off of the faces of the boards (although you'll get a little), because it is through the face that you want the water to evaporate.

When coating milled boards that have not previously been coated, if there are any checks present end sealing works best if you can trim a few inches off of the end of the board and apply it to un-checked wood. Remember - an end check is like a crack in glass - once it starts it is easy for it to keep growing. The key is to prevent it from starting (and to end up with more usable wood because of the more consistent drying process).

It's best to apply end sealer as soon as possible after cutting the log, perhaps some folks could get with Jack and coat the ends of the logs before milling?

Maple usually air drys well - be sure to sticker on 16" centers and keep the pile out of direct sunlight. Stick it in your attic to sterilize after the MC% is below 18%.

Scott

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Scott,

Thank you for the information, I knew it is imperitive to get it on as fast as possible, but I didn't know how much.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Philip AM is very nice scrolling wood. You just have to becareful as to what patterns you use as the graining is so nice you don't want the wood to take away from your pattern or your pattern to take away for your wood.

I would say you want no need some. :eusa_danc

Well, I better get my name in for some - Scott do I need to get 4/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS