Ambrosia Maple Question

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I am looking at utilizing some air dried ambrosia maple. It does show little holes in the wood where I assume bugs got into the wood (was there from the day it was freshly cut) and I am curious if I should put epoxy or some other filler into these whole before using for a table? I like the look but want to be sure no bugs come crawling out later.

Thoughts on what, if anything, I should do with the bug holes?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The holes were made by the ambrosia beetle, also what makes the colored streaks in the wood.

It needs to be heat treated to kill the eggs and larvae inside. I think it is 130°F for 8 hours to reach the center of the board.

Then you can fill with wood dough or epoxy if you like.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
The holes were made by the ambrosia beetle, also what makes the colored streaks in the wood.

It needs to be heat treated to kill the eggs and larvae inside. I think it is 130°F for 8 hours to reach the center of the board.

Then you can fill with wood dough or epoxy if you like.
Do I need to do that if the wood has air dried for 4 years? No new piles of dust or holes have appeared from what I have seen.

If the length of the wood is 8ft plus, any way to treat it without going to a kiln?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you search here you may find where people before have made tents from plastic and used electric heaters and a small fan to raise the temperature inside the tent.

From what I understood it doesn't matter how long it air dried, it still needs to be sterilized.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I remember a man that built his small kiln in his shop, it was made so it had a workbench type top, had some doors in the front and on the ends. For heat he used light bulbs and a small fan. That setup, though small, kiln dried a lot of lumber over the years. BTW, the bench top tilted open.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
A pure black wood filler mashed into the holes will work or a dyed epoxy. As talked about, those whole a bug tunnels that caused the discoloration. Find someone with a kiln who that can hold pieces that large to kill the little critters off otherwise you will conitnue to have issues with the wood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS