Always look out for metal in your wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I picked up some Poplar boards from Woodcraft today to start on my step stool project. They were .50 cent more per BF than Klingspor's but S3S, and that saved me some time. I still ran them through the planer to get a consistant thickness. One of the boards had a big black streak on it, I didn't think much of it, the board was one of the truest they had, and bought it. Plus this is going to be painted...again:crybaby2: When I got back to the shop, I started to cut the boards to rough length and process them. That board with the black streak caught the light just right and I saw a shine...metal:eusa_naug . So I cut that section out. Later I dug into it and I believe I found a old bullet. About .22 cal. So let this be a lesson to ya'll and me:eusa_doh: ...Always check for metal, even if it's not reclaimed, urban harvest or other situations where you would expect to find crap in your wood. Luckly, I found it before it was run through my planer, I've found metal the hard way with it, and it ain't pretty. For your viewing amusment:
Poplarbullet002.jpg

Poplarbullet004.jpg

Poplarbullet006.jpg

Keep making that dust!, Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yea, at least this was lead, not steel, like the cut nail I ran through the planer while working with some 200 yr. old Heart Pine beams. I'm sure it would have messed up a knife or two. Always look out, the ones that get you are the ones, you don't expect. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS