Air compressor... Merry Christmas

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
My favorite gift. I heard about these a few years ago on this forum. OMG how quiet they actually are. I got the starter model. 1 hp and 7 gallon tank. Likely all I will ever need.

20201227_090727.jpg

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Interesting design with the motor integrated with the compressors. I wonder, do you know is it simply a furnace type squirrel cage motor? (double ended shaft)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Kobalt version of the same compressor. It is a double piston compressor. Very quiet. Mine is the vertical version with wheels. I'm very happy with machine.

Pop

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
California Air Tools makes a great compressor. I have had my quiet compressor for about two years. Dumped the pancake type and never looked back. It truly is very quiet.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guessing that model is too small for air tools and spray painting?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Hank, my 26 gallon with the same style compressor will run my guns, ratchet & straight line sander. I think that style compressor is made by more than one company. Most likely under license from California Air Tools. Don't know for sure, but when I saw a version at HF I started to think about it.

Pop :rolleyes:

DavidP

New User
David
My favorite gift. I heard about these a few years ago on this forum. OMG how quiet they actually are. I got the starter model. 1 hp and 7 gallon tank. Likely all I will ever need.

A new comment on an old thread. Thanks DS!
I read this a year ago and finally replaced my old 25 gal Craftsman Compressor with a 10 Gallon Aluminum tank from California Air Tools (Lowes Order $502).
OMG! I should have upgraded last year. I'm in a single bay garage turning shop where the compressor can only be so far from the lathe. It was relatively expensive, but when I'm hollowing, even my 25 gallon ran a lot. It's a major upgrade for me!
It just hums compared to my old compressor. I can easily have a conversation with someone while right next to it. I don't run air tools, so it likely will be all I ever need.
There is a 30second start-up period where it bleeds some air to reduce start-up strain on the motor where it is a bit louder, but I guess about 50% of my old compressor. I wish I had a decibel meter to test. Anyway if anyone wants a good 15-year-old Craftsman Compressor with light use let me know, but I'd recommend a California Air one instead!

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guessing that model is too small for air tools and spray painting?
I have the 1hp 2 gallon and it works great spraying paint. I bought it to paint some rental kitchen cabinets in place. Shot tinted lacquer with a Sprayit LVLP gun using a 1.3 needle/tip. The Sprayit guns are also sold by California air tools

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I debated getting the California Air Tools compressor but ended up with a Hulk 2HP 20 Gallon instead, so far so good.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS