Ah-The smell of burning clutch in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
The following is a good way to cook your CORDED-that's right-corded drill.
Chuck up an appropriate size bit (this is 3/4" x 6")

Then set up the following jig to drill 3 7/8" holes through southern yellow pine:

Repeat for 18 or so holes

ahhhhh..... there it is can you smell it?

This is my 3rd round of drilling (i.e-drill about 15 holes-wait about an hour for the drill to cool down-then drill another 15) I've only got 15 more to go and the holes will all be drilled in the bench top:eusa_danc :eek:ccasion1 :banana:

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that shouldn't make a corded drill get more than luke warm.:nah: Maybe customer service should get a call. :dontknow: My milwaukee's will do that all day long without breaking a sweat if the bit is sharp.:icon_thum I may be missing sumthin here?:dontknow:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Looks like a Colt bit. My set is the dullest out the box I've ever bought!
I agree with FredP about the Milwaukee. Never run mine all day, but have punched a hundred pocket holes with not a problem.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
that shouldn't make a corded drill get more than luke warm.:nah: Maybe customer service should get a call. :dontknow: My milwaukee's will do that all day long without breaking a sweat if the bit is sharp.:icon_thum I may be missing sumthin here?:dontknow:

:gar-La; It's Ryobi.

I have the exact same corded drill for when the battery just won't cut it ... and that baby lets off a wondeful smell as she overheats (pretty quickly too). Not sure what customer service will tell you other than "Take $25 and go to the BORG and buy another":rotflm:

Mike ... that looks great!

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well-the drill is a Ryobi-but the bit is pretty darn sharp-as a matter of fact, probably one of the better bits I've bought. I just figured this was a pretty hefty duty call for the drill-mabye I a should go try out big red. Think I'll try and fry this one a little further 1st-that'll give me an excuse for another new :tool:.

Thanks for the info guys

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

Glennbear

Glenn
Before I sold my house in NJ I had to sister some 2by stock to the main basement support beam which entailed drilling through 8" of SYP. The corded 3/8" drill heated up fairly quickly using a similar 9/16" bit. I think it is the friction of the fully fluted bit which causes the overwork problem. I found that when I switched to a paddle bit the drill was a lot happier. :gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If you get a red one they make different models. I recomend the 1/2" holeshooter for heavy use. the 3/8" models come in a wide range of speeds. some are fast and have little tork and others have slower speeds and lots of tork. they are variable speed but look at min and max RPM. I like the slower speed models because I use mine to tap holes in steel sometimes. slower means I break fewer taps!:gar-Bi

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Oh, more I thought about this....

Did you try waxing the drill bit and your guide? I've tried this and sometimes it helped.

During my great corded drill hunt, I ended up with a porter cable. I found that the handles were wildly different and this PC fit my hands the best. Having spent way to much time in tight spaces with a hard to hold drill, I made fit a criteria. FWIW.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'm with Fred, my Milwaukee corded model (0234-1) is 5.5 amps with a 1/2" chuck and I've had it almost 20 years. It drills through wood or metal all day long, I can definitely say that it's one of the best tools that I ever bought, but it wasn't cheap.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I also have the Milwaukee 1/2" "wristbreaker" and have been happy with it, except for those times I've been drilling metal and it bound. Once I was even lucky enough to engage the trigger lock just as it bound, but luckily it unplugged itself by yanking the cord out of the outlet.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ahh, the joys of drilling. :BangHead: I would go buy one of those mack daddy ones that everyone else is talking about. The bench looks great though. :icon_thum

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I also have the Milwaukee 1/2" "wristbreaker" and have been happy with it, except for those times I've been drilling metal and it bound. Once I was even lucky enough to engage the trigger lock just as it bound, but luckily it unplugged itself by yanking the cord out of the outlet.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Yeah, that's the one It's scared the heck out of me more than once also.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Honestly that's which I like a slip clutch on a drill. I about had my wrist snap drilling steel... the bit gets caught on a burr and WHAM look out :roll: I would rather hear the clutch go pop than my wrist.

fergy

New User
Fergy
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Yeah, that's the one It's scared the heck out of me more than once also.
A coworker of mine was drilling through a steel bulkhead on a ship with a giant D-handle drill, just above floor level. He was laying on the floor with the drill in front of him, pushing it. He got the 'ol "alligator death roll" on that one.

On a slightly similar note, I've also discovered that I should make sure my small PC router is switched off, and securely fastened in in the base before plugging it in. That was a scary one, but at least the flailing router cut its own cord before it reached my feet. Come to think of it, a lot of my power tools have 12" cords now...:swoon:

M

McRabbet

It's clear the Ryobi is under-powered for the task. I've got an old Sears Craftsman 1/2 variable speed/reversible (0-600 rpm) with a keyed Jacobs chuck that I use with a 5/8" x 18" long ships auger to drill through two railroad ties for 1/2" rebar to tie them together. It barely falters when I bury the bit 16"! I think your use of the smaller Ryobi with a 7/8" bit through tough hardwood is beyond it's designed capacity.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Some Bosch tools are great,some are junk.I had a battery drill and it would get so hot you could smell it too.Paid 209 in 1993.Salesman finally admitted Bosch put a 12v motor in 18v drill.He sold several and all got their money back.Their rotary jigsaw they used to sell can't be beat.Tony

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can you get a Forstner bit with a long enough shank? Most HSS bits aren't fluted to cut wood very well and the shanks tend to bind up in the wood above the cut - especially with chips coming up the flutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors