Aftermarket TS options - recommendations welcome

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey folks,

As I continue to unpack and setup my old tools in the new shop space, I just finished getting everything dialed-in on my old Unisaw. That said - my fence is a "home-made Biesemeyer" that a machinist friend of mine fabbed for me years ago. It's the typical T-square style lock-up and uses a length of 10/20 aluminum as the blade. It's served me reasonably well thus far, but as I've got everything apart, I'm weighing my options on a fence replacement - mainly because this one is jut a bit big for my current space at a 50" rip capacity, though I know I could just take a bandsaw to the rails (steel angle and HSS) as well, but debating passing it along to someone who would use the capacity before I go that route.

Years ago, I had a Unifence that was awesome - I loved being able to flip it 90 degrees for thin stock rips. That said, though I have a lead on a NOS one, it's WAY overpriced in my opinion, (maybe the seller is hoping for some "collector value", who knows....)

I see that Biesemeyer isn't what it used to be unfortunately, and the current offerings have pretty consistent horrible reviews for fit/finish/ accuracy/QC/ etc, now that operations have moved abroad.

I've always been intrigued by the Incra setup - it looks like it would take up a ton of space at full rip capacity, (the arm would have to extend ~30" on the other side of the bracket, so ~62"+ from the blade), though in my current setup I will have the saw butting up to a miter bench that hasn't yet been built, so I could easily build a higher deck height on the future miter bench, and create a small cubby for the Incra arm to extend into).

Then of course there's always the Shopfox, grizzly, etc options.

And of course I could always tear down and freshen up my current fence as well - jut did want to weight the options for the current aftermarket, specifically on the Incra. Any users/ lovers/ haters in the group?

Thanks,
HMH

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
How much money you want to spend answers the question. If $250-400.00 is an option then several versions out there will serve you well. If $ 0.00 is the option then, time becomes the driver. I took my existing rip guide and spent 6 hours customizing it and now it is true to .002 thousandths front to back, but I confirmed the guide runners were straight and true. - Not much of an answer but that is the questions I think you need to answer 1st

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
If you are in the market for a new fence, don't neglect the offerings from Vega - maybe not as common, but a great fence (system).

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Vega is well reviewed, but newer comments say fit and finish is not what it was. VSCT has some positive reviews. Some love their Incra, but too many comments on it not staying parallel. Operator error? My Harvey is a clone of the original Bies'. Seems to work after a little clean up on the toggle. Someday, I may "upgrade" it by putting in nylon rollers instead of the nylon tips is slides on. Just because.

If I were designing a fence, I would make it an "L" rather than a "T" . This could give another 6 inches of rip right of blade with the same length on the head to maintain precision. I have never used my fence on the left. I see many new fences are not designed for left use.

Personally, if you like your current fence, I would just trim it. You won't get much for a DIY fence to pay for a new one.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've always been intrigued by the Incra setup - it looks like it would take up a ton of space at full rip capacity,

I have the Incra installed on a Delta contractor TS. This is what I've used for about 25 years now. I really like the accuracy of the Incra. The one drawback is the space required when making wide rips. My TS is in the middle of the space with room on both sides.

Ed D

New User
Ed
I have a Unisaw that I rebuilt from the early 50's, and I replaced the Jet Lock fence with a Delta T Square fence, and have never looked back. Might not be right for you, as the rails are only 30" long. Home Depot has the package for sale for $205.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Shop made Biese clone isn't out of the question if you have moderate welding skills. Built my first back when teaching shop. Current one is over twenty years old, and not quite finished. I still need to put laminate on faces. On second thought, after twenty years, why? In tool box in shop, I have a bag of Biese pads, along with the correct size drill to dill mounting holes. If pads aren't available, Whirlpool washing machines (top loaders) use a similar pad to keep top from rubbing on body. The cam lock out of a Jet Loc fence works with the Biese clones. Only odd sized piece of steel is the 5/8 X 2" spacer. You only need a couple inches, so buying a twenty foot length is out of the question, as far as costs are concerned

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I have been using the Incra TS fence For some years.

pros: once calibrated, quick highly accurate and repeatable cuts, different days or months. Very fast to get your desired exact cut without tests, bumping, etc. Once the side brackets are In the right place, it is easy to take the fence on and off If desired. You can micro adjust with precision, although I don’t use that feature much as the fence locks into 1/64 increments(IIRC).

cons: the T-shape of the fence obstructs some sled designs that ride over the length of a standard fence as it would run in to the T portion of the Incra. Just have to use other sled designs. Although you do need extra space to fully extend the fence, you can store it in its contracted position.

other: I have no problems with parallelism of blade to fence. I believe this is a user error. There is an order of 2 moves for the locking mechanism when adjusting the fence. These mechanisms both have to be unlocked and locked in the correct order or the fence may be skewed for different reasons (I.e. if one side lock is not secured at time of cut, you can push the fence out of parallel; if you lock the side track before locking the main you can fix the fence temporarily out of square). again, if the fence is setup and you follow the correct moves, it is dead on every time. All of this is in the manual yet is intuitive once you understand the fence design.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
On your existing 80/20, is there any reason you couldn't attach a "L" fence to give you a "low fence?" Make lower leg of "L" exactly 2" wide. This way, cursier would be off exactly 2".

gmakra

New User
George
I have the Super Cool Tools and have had it for 3 years. The thing is built like a tank. Its repeatablity is awesome and i have never had to re aligin the fence. The 80-20 aluminum extrusion is wonderful to hang a sacrifical fence off of.
I have the Jesum clearcut stock guides which hang off of the 80-20 with no modification and took a few minute's to install. I also have the Accuright digital read out on the fence.

It is repeatable to 100ths in reality not theory.

The only thing is that it is a heavy fence.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have been using the Incra TS fence For some years.

pros: once calibrated, quick highly accurate and repeatable cuts, different days or months. Very fast to get your desired exact cut without tests, bumping, etc. Once the side brackets are In the right place, it is easy to take the fence on and off If desired. You can micro adjust with precision, although I don’t use that feature much as the fence locks into 1/64 increments(IIRC).

cons: the T-shape of the fence obstructs some sled designs that ride over the length of a standard fence as it would run in to the T portion of the Incra. Just have to use other sled designs. Although you do need extra space to fully extend the fence, you can store it in its contracted position.

other: I have no problems with parallelism of blade to fence. I believe this is a user error. There is an order of 2 moves for the locking mechanism when adjusting the fence. These mechanisms both have to be unlocked and locked in the correct order or the fence may be skewed for different reasons (I.e. if one side lock is not secured at time of cut, you can push the fence out of parallel; if you lock the side track before locking the main you can fix the fence temporarily out of square). again, if the fence is setup and you follow the correct moves, it is dead on every time. All of this is in the manual yet is intuitive once you understand the fence design.

I was wondering about "DSO" as so many seem to love their Incra and the company seems to pride itself on accuracy. But, the comments are out there. It would not work at all for me as my router top is to the right on my saw and I use my T fence as the mount for the router fence. After a tweak or two, my simple Harvey seems fine. My Ridgid ( double lock) was fine and had a thumb knob that was supposed to make small adjustments easy, but bumping was actually easier.

When using different fence faces, one solution would be a Wixey DRO. Another would be a sliding scale ( I think Incra does this) My idea of a "L" fence would give enough space on the head to have multiple index marks a couple inches apart. I have an idea how to do that on my T fence when I get some spare time. I want to use it a lot more before I make changes.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Great replies guys = thanks!

The incra is still in the running - but the SuperCoolTOols fence looks awesome as well, and I could easily adapt that to what I have re: rails, etc. I'll post feedback of the ultimate direction, etc. Thanks again!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS