after market helical cutterhead for planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pviser

New User
paul
I have a Jet 15" planer with three HSS knives. It is in good working order. Even so, I'm itching to move up to a helical cutterhead. Should I do this as an aftermarket upgrade of just the cutterhead (cost: ~$700) or would I be wise to get a new Powermatic planer with helical cutterhead (cost: ~$2,900)? I would appreciate some guidance on this significant expenditure.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I am always up for recommending a new machine, especially a fine one like the Powermatic planer.
As for retrofitting; I recently upgraded my 12" jointer/planer machine from a 4-knife straight blade machine to the Disposa-Blade system. Double sided blades, easy tabs for precise setting in the cutter head, set the outfeed table once and forget it. Really nice surface after the planing operation requiring only a light sanding.
However, if I ever replace this machine, it will likely be one with the helical head or segmented knifes. The helical head cuts with a slicing motion instead of head on cutting, so it should be better at planing figured or difficult grain woods.

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks for your input. I'm leaning toward new. It seems less risky to spend $2,900 for something almost guaranteed to be perfect, rather than throwing down $800 on a blind bet.

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware
If you like tinkering with things, I say for the upgrade. From what I understand, it's a bit of an ordeal sometimes to swap them out.
Otherwise, might I suggest the General 15", 3 HP planer with Magnum Helical Cutterhead? Can't recommend the Powermatic, as we don't sell them. :gar-Bi

Scott

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Just to play devil's advocate...

You've got a good machine as a starting point and a 15" unit (is it a 15CS?) at that, so I think if where me, I would strongly consider retrofitting a Byrd Shelix and use the "leftover" $2100 to buy something I don't have...

If your existing unit was a 12" lunchbox - well that's a whole 'nother story :eusa_doh:

pviser

New User
paul
I have a JWP15HO. As for the General brand, I have been extremely please with my 6-month-old General cabinet saw. I'll review your web site.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Jet and Powermatic are owned by the same company, so there exists a good chance that the powermatic spiral head could be easily retrofitted to your Jet planer. I'd buy the powermatic head and check things out, first. Its a lot easier to assess with the replacement part in hand than speculating based on descriptions, pictures or measurements.
The worst case scenario is that it wont fit and you have to return it.:tool:i

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for your input. I'm leaning toward new. It seems less risky to spend $2,900 for something almost guaranteed to be perfect, rather than throwing down $800 on a blind bet.
I can understand that. For the mechanically inclined who can McGuyver a bucket of bolts into a working drill press or car engine, the upgrade choice is easy, but not everyone is comfortable with bearing pullers, torque wrenches and feeler gauges.

funny-pictures-can-we-fix-it-yes-we-can.jpg

Still, even after buying a couple of specialty tools (at Harbor Freight of course), we're still talking more than $2000, not to mention the trouble of selling the old machine and taking delivery/ cleaning/ installing the new machine. So if your current planer is otherwise working perfectly, I'd seriously consider the upgrade. Worst case, it doesn't work out the way you planned and you go back to the straight knives and sell the helical head for $600 to a lucky recipient. So that would be my first choice.

On the other hand, if your planer is 'good' but is missing that special something the Powermatic will give you, and you'd rather spend time woodworking than machining, by all means go get it! It's always fun to have new tools to uncrate and smell the cosmoline. Plus, you'll make someone else happy with a lightly used well maintained 15" planer :tool:

mckenziedrums

New User
Tim
I replaced the cutter in my *ahem* lunchbox of a planer. ;) Of course it was actually about $260 and in my case I don't have room for a larger unit so it was a no brainer in regards to the choice between another portable planer with straight knives or a new helical head.

I've worked on cars for years and am mildly comfortable with pulling things apart. That being said, this one had me mildly concerned as the pile of parts piled up on my work table. The amount of things I had to remove to get to the actually cutter head was a little silly and in my case one of the bearings REALLY didn't want to come out of the housing. A punch and some delicate work with a hammer solved the problem without too much drama thankfully.

$2000 of left over money is a good portion to put towards another tool you don't have and would like. If your current planer works well but you want to improve the cut quality and reduce noise I'd have to recommend the upgraded cutter head. They're not cheap and you probably won't get the full $800 back if you eventually sell the machine but it will improve the resale value and it won't set you back as much as a new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS