build4fun

New User
Brian
I have now collected 8-9 old hand saws (panel saws). I am documenting my process of restoring them and was curious about everyone else's advice for resharpening. Basically, I want to compare with my notes. What type of file do you use ? How do you get angles correct, keep track of the filed teeth, etc. Any other specific advice? For anyone interested, here is a video on restoring a few hand saws with a rusty saw plate and scratched up handle - all cross cut saws. I think they turn out well.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It just so happens I’ll be demonstrating saw sharpening at the Winston Salem Klingspor store this Saturday. If you could make it over I’d be glad to talk saws their use and abuse with you. I also teach saw sharpening about once a year. If your are interested in a one on one class we can talk.

bbrown

Bill
User
I am also on the learning curve for sharpening hand saws. I've got about 15 old saws I've collected over the years. I'm using a little book by Harold Payson.

build4fun

New User
Brian
It just so happens I’ll be demonstrating saw sharpening at the Winston Salem Klingspor store this Saturday. If you could make it over I’d be glad to talk saws their use and abuse with you. I also teach saw sharpening about once a year. If your are interested in a one on one class we can talk.

Any recommendations on a time Saturday? Klingpors site shows from 10-2, but thought I would ask.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any recommendations on a time Saturday? Klingpors site shows from 10-2, but thought I would ask.
Any time with in that I’ll be there a little early and will stay a little later if needed.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Although you can learn from the plethora of videos on the web, like I did, I would recommend a class if you can make one. It will put you way ahead on the learning curve. As to the benefits of sharpening your own, I would relate that I just finished up building an extensve handicapped ramp. Although I did use my power miter saw for the repetitive cuts, I used my hand saws for all the notching, one-offs, etc. It amazed me how much easier they cut than the store-bought Stanley Sharptooth ones I bought at Lowe's. As you have plenty, I would recommend re-toothing at least one for a rip saw. It definitely makes a difference when sawing with the grain. As for files, I use the Nicholson brand, although I am sure there are better ones out there. A bright light that you can position near your work, and a felt tip pen will be your friends in this task as well as a good saw set tool.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Several years ago I took a class from Bill Anderson at his home shop. Best time and money I ever spent.
I think he teaches at Roy Underhill's school now.

Graywolf is a good friend and also a great teacher. He has done some work for me making a saw handle and resharpening a blade or two.
Sometimes it just pays to let someone with more experience do the work.

I can sharpen all my saws but I'm not good with correcting badly abused saws.

Richard (Greywolf) would be great to spend some time with.

build4fun

New User
Brian
Several years ago I took a class from Bill Anderson at his home shop. Best time and money I ever spent.
I think he teaches at Roy Underhill's school now.

Graywolf is a good friend and also a great teacher. He has done some work for me making a saw handle and resharpening a blade or two.
Sometimes it just pays to let someone with more experience do the work.

I can sharpen all my saws but I'm not good with correcting badly abused saws.

Richard (Greywolf) would be great to spend some time with.
Thanks for the advice!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I just took mine to Chris Black. I figured I could spend a year learning how and getting good, or just get mine done and get back to using them.
But, headed to meet Greywolf Sunday too.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
But, headed to meet Greywolf Sunday too.
Graywolf will be at Klingspors today, as they are closed on Sunday (unless you have other arrangements, then just ignore this!)

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hope he means Saturday because I’m sleeping in on Sunday. ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors