Advice on salt water damaged wood

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
In my move some of my wood was damaged by the shipping container having a leak. All was cabinet select grade-:mad::(

Bottom line, a lot of Maple, Oak and Mahogany got soaked with both salt water and rain. By the time I got it out the damage was severe. (10 days)
The wood is stained warped and twisted.

If I wanted to get the stains out Assuming it is 1x6 x 10' how long would it take? and I am assuming I would bleach 1st, then plane it then seal the faces of the boards.

The biggest loss for me is the Maple, it was part curly but most was rock all clear and several boards matched.

The Oak not so much bothered by as I can get that here of similar quality.

The Mahogany is an issue because the woods is now has larger color swings from dark to light.

I am meeting with the insurance company on this and I know how they will be, they will ask "why not just run through a sander and it will be good as new"

As far as I am concerned I need to replace the wood, but given the character of insurance adjusters, I should have some idea what the cost to remediate the wood and what would be the percentage of loss factor cost.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx-:cool:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
tell the sobs that the water penetrated thru the lumber and therefore it is unuseable. major problem in applying a finish,most likely impossible

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Good sir I having dealt with adjusters for many many many years in construction, to me IMHO I stand by my comment. :D :D :D :D :D There MIGHT be a few good ones just like there may be some good lawyers.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Total lose because you won't know if it is good until you spend your time and money. It now has a diminished value.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Lawyer joke, "You know why they use lawyers for scientific research? ........ because there are some things, rats just won't do"... :p:D

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS