Advice on building air dried kiln for pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
IN the not too far future I am planning on building an air drying station to dry out some yellow pine boards that will have been freshly milled. Would an air dried kiln or solar kiln work better?

If the air dried method is ok, does anyone have any suggestions in regards to the amount of breathable air space between the boards, how high off of a concrete slab would it need to be elevated-the stack of boards, and can anyone advise on a particular method that is better for strapping it down to prevent bowing of lumber.

Most is probably common sense, but I know a lot of everything tends to have a science to it as well. Like when your woodworking buddy comes over to the house and notices your contraption. He then questions, "If you don't mind me asking Chris, Why did you do this like that instead of ....?" --Funny!

Also would I need to seal the boards immediately after being milled, prior to departing the mill or.....? is it really that critical.. It will be very important that I don't wind up with cracked lumber. I cannot have any cracks in this lumber if I can help it. What is a typical drying time for yellow pine 2x4 and 2x6?

Thanks Chris

Thanks for any help. chris

J

jeff...

You can literally beat pine to death in a kiln as far as a safe moisture content loss per day goes. It dries at much higher temperature and a lot quicker than hardwood does.

woodnick

New User
Nick
In MHO temperture is not as important air movement, as Jeff says Pine will dry faster the most other woods. Forcing air over the stack will do more good then raising the temperture.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Thanks guys but during that process would you feel it is better to have some sort of mechanical means of airflow imposed on the stack of wood during it's drying process or would it dry to fast and crack that way.

Also, assuming it dries faster would you want to have your stacked boards somewhat closer together to attempt to regulate moisture loss.

I was wondering how long, in your experiences and/or readings do you think it would take some rough cut 2x4 and 2x6 to dry properly?

Thanks for the help.
Chris

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have used the stuff as soon as soon as 2 days to make rafters in a lean to, but in general I have waited 6 months. I would immediately seal the ends, and put a minimum of six inches off the ground. 3/4 to 1" stickers should be good. Do put plastic down on the ground before you start your stack.

Truefire

New User
Chris
I have used the stuff as soon as soon as 2 days to make rafters in a lean to, but in general I have waited 6 months. I would immediately seal the ends, and put a minimum of six inches off the ground. 3/4 to 1" stickers should be good. Do put plastic down on the ground before you start your stack.

Thanks a great deal Travis for the info I reallly appreciate that. I will be placing my milled lumber on a concrete slab and will eventually be putting a top over it.

Thanks again, Chris

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Chris, the USDA has published a number of manuals related to drying lumber. If you search the archives on NCWoodworker.net, you should find some links to some free downloads that will tell you everything that you need to know.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors