Advice on a good chisel set...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hk538

New User
hk538
I've been tinkering in relief carving for the past few years, but have always used some crappy chisels. I noticed my small v-gouge has became so thin on the right side that the metal flaps in the wind:-D

I'm looking to buy a new set of chisels with a couple of good gouges for stock removal and long, comfortable handles, if that's possible. I'm on a budget, but I definately don't want to buy bad chisels like I've been using. I've been thinking of buying individual chisels from Woodcraft or Rockler, but not sure if this is a better way to go.

Anyone know of nice set for under $75 that has a good selection of chisels in the set? Needing these for relief carving also.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Greg

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Greg, There are several possibilities, depending on how many you need. Grizzly offers a Chinese-made set of 12 carving chisels for under $70 (I have this set, but haven't used them!). They are long handled and sturdy, but I cannot vouch for the quality of their edges. You can also buy very high quality Robert Sorby Chisels for $25-35 each or for about $100, a very good quality Henry Taylor 6 piece set from Lee Valley Tools.

Smaller handles are available in Flexcut carving chisels like these at Hartville Tools.

Lee Valley has a very good selection of carving hand carving items and you might want to browse their selections thoroughly. They are a very good firm.

Rob

hk538

New User
hk538
McRabbet, those aren't bad lookin' chisels from Grizzly. They don't look like the typical chinese made stuff. Also a couple of the sets in Lee Valley are almost identical to the set I have now that aren't worth throwing away:)

Greg

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
McRabbet said:
Greg, There are several possibilities, depending on how many you need. Grizzly offers a Chinese-made set of 12 carving chisels for under $70 (I have this set, but haven't used them!). They are long handled and sturdy, but I cannot vouch for the quality of their edges. You can also buy very high quality Robert Sorby Chisels for $25-35 each or for about $100, a very good quality Henry Taylor 6 piece set from Lee Valley Tools.

Smaller handles are available in Flexcut carving chisels like these at Hartville Tools.

Lee Valley has a very good selection of carving hand carving items and you might want to browse their selections thoroughly. They are a very good firm.

Rob

I have as set of those Grizzly's that someone bought me for a present. They work ok, but don't stay sharp long.

John

kbcrafter

New User
Kevin
Hi Greg,
If you want to get some good chisels go to Smokey Mountain WoodCarvers @ www.woodcarvers.com . They are over in Townsend, Tenn. They aren't the cheapest but they have good quality products and they can give you any advice that you might want. I've dealt with them in the past and have gotten good service from them and so have a number of guys that were in my carving class.
Kevin

hk538

New User
hk538
I'll probably look to see what they have as Grizzly is out of stock on the 12pc set, so I'm back to square-one.
Thanks for the link

Greg

Bill

New User
William R Light Jr
hk538 said:
I've been tinkering in relief carving for the past few years, but have always used some crappy chisels. I noticed my small v-gouge has became so thin on the right side that the metal flaps in the wind:-D

I'm looking to buy a new set of chisels with a couple of good gouges for stock removal and long, comfortable handles, if that's possible. I'm on a budget, but I definately don't want to buy bad chisels like I've been using. I've been thinking of buying individual chisels from Woodcraft or Rockler, but not sure if this is a better way to go.

Anyone know of nice set for under $75 that has a good selection of chisels in the set? Needing these for relief carving also.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Greg

Greg,
I have been getting chisels as I needed them at places like Woodcraft. There's a guy there (Tom I think, who makes knives) who has put me onto some nice buys. I use a combination of FlexCraft (palm) and the swiss made(long handle). Also got a neat long handle from a guy in the Sandhills Carving Club. I was given a set for Christmas but am only using about four or five of them - haven't gotten to what to do with the others I guess. Hope this helps.

Bill

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Good news on carving chisels and chisels. The Mid-West Tool Collector meeting notice came in the mail today. The theme of the meeting is carving chisels and chisels. There will be some nice displays and some nice chisels for sale. I may take some for display and sale. I'll do a separate post of the meeting notice and details.

hk538

New User
hk538
Randy,
what type chisels are you planning on selling?...I'm still in the market if you're selling:-D

Greg

hk538

New User
hk538
Hey Mike,
Are they bench chisels or carving chisels?....Looking for something in a few gouges and v-tools with good handles on them.

Greg

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
hk538 said:
Randy,
what type chisels are you planning on selling?...I'm still in the market if you're selling:-D

Greg

Hello Greg,
Most of the chisels I have that need new homes are bench, mortise, and paring type chisels, all quality good name chisels like Witherby, Swan, (old) Marples, Stanley, Greenlee, etc. There may be a few stray carving chisels and gouges, but probably not many. There's maybe 12+ chisels that I turned cocobolo handles for, with and without the leather washer ends, that I intend on selling. I've also got a brand new complete set of the Record/Marples "split-proof" bench chisels that need a new home.

hk538

New User
hk538
Let me know if you find any for woodcarving in the bunch. Depending on what they are, I'll probably be interested.

Greg:saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS