Advice needed on restoring a #3 sweep gouge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I recently picked up a nice vintage #3 sweep 5/8" gouge but then realized someone has sharpened the end of this gouge completely flat across the top side as if it were a chisel and they were flattening the back. I'd like to gradually recover this lovely old tool, but would appreciate some advice on my proposed process. Here's what that shape looks like now. As you can see, the top has no side-to-side concave shape over the first 3/8" from the cutting edge because the outer sides of the gouge have been ground flat.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I could grind the tip away for a 1/2" until I get back into the #3 sweep contour, but I hate to lose so much steel. So, what I'm thinking of doing instead is to create a slight concave area at the front edge of the gouge as close as possible to a #3 sweep and the rest of the tool, working from the center of the front edge. Then, as I have to sharpen the gouge over time, gradually move the edge back until I again get to the original sweep of the tool.

Any thoughts?

Rush

Attachments

• Number 3 Sweep Gouge.JPG
    Number 3 Sweep Gouge.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Number 3 Sweep Gouge2.JPG
    Number 3 Sweep Gouge2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 253

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Thanks, Ken. Glad to get confirmation that re-contouring that front portion of the gouge makes sense. Doing so will leave that front edge a bit thin and delicate, so I'll just have to be gentle in using the gouge until that front edge moves back and gets a bit thicker with later re-sharpening.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I would grind away about 1/4 inch then contour as needed.
Mike, this is probably the braver route and would result in a stronger tool edge. The 1/4 inch you suggest might be just about right. I could then do a bit of re-contouring as Ken suggests to ease the sweep back into form but have some thicker steel to work with.

Thanks to both of you for replying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS