Adjustable Mouth Block Plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
I'm looking at block planes for shaping
I was recommended the Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth block plane by a fellow molder.
I also looked at the Wood River hand plane at Wood Craft.
I'd like hear some opinions on these planes.
Is the Lie-Nielsen worth the $165 I've seen them go for?
Is the Wood River a really good deal at $90?
What the heck is a Adjustable Mouth Block Plane anyway?

plainer.jpg

plainer%20002.jpg

plainer%20003.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'm cheap, so I wouldn't pay that for either of these planes. I have several block planes, both the 20* and the low-angle 12* types. I've picked them up at auctions over the years for as little as $3 and as high as $10. They are mostly old Stanley or Craftsman models, and when cleaned up and tuned properly, you can't beat them.

The "Adjustable Mouth" refers to a sliding plate in front of the blade that allows you to vary the width of the throat. A wide throat for rough work; a narrow throat for finer work.

HTH

Bill

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
On an adjustable mouth block plane, the knob on the front is attached to a moveable part of the shoe in front of the blade, allowing you to open or close the mouth opening. Close to the blade will give thin shavings and reduce tear out. Open wide will allow thicker shavings and quicker cross cutting of end grain.

I bought a Stanley "contractor grade" one at Lowe's for about $35 about 3 years ago. It took me about 4 hours of work to get it flat, the blade bed flat, cap-iron flat, iron back flattened and tool marks out and then sharpened, etc. The lateral adjustment on it sucks as does tightening the iron, and that is due to the cheap design and something I will have to endure as long as I use it. After all my work, it is an acceptable plane, and I do use the adjustable mouth feature.

As for the question about worth:
Lie-Nielsen planes work well right out of the box, have a 30 day return policy, and a lifetime warrantee on materials and workmanship. They also have replacement parts if you damage something.
The Wood River planes I have looked at (do not own one) appear to need some fettling to get them tuned up correctly.

If you plan to use it a lot, I would go for the best quality and enjoy using it. If only going to use it occasionally and are willing to spend time tuning it up, then the price may not be worth it to you. Hopefully some Wood River users will chime in with their hands-on experience.

JMTCW

Go

nelsone

New User
Ed
Take a look at the Veritas planes from Lee Valley too. I love mine! You can find a vintage plane that will work quite well, but it may take a bit of work. Don't know much about the Wood River, but you won't go wrong with either LV or LN!

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I'm cheap, so I wouldn't pay that for either of these planes. I have several block planes, both the 20* and the low-angle 12* types. I've picked them up at auctions over the years for as little as $3 and as high as $10. They are mostly old Stanley or Craftsman models, and when cleaned up and tuned properly, you can't beat them.

The "Adjustable Mouth" refers to a sliding plate in front of the blade that allows you to vary the width of the throat. A wide throat for rough work; a narrow throat for finer work.

HTH

Bill

I just purchased (received yesterday) a Stanley 12-960 Low Angle block plane with adjustable mouth. I find that when the blade is extended enough to make a cut, that the sliding plate (or adjustable mouth) has to be as far forward as possible or it interferes with the blade. Even then I have a miniscule opening on the order of .001 or so. Am I doing something wrong?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bruce without seeing the plane it is hard to say, but it sounds like you may have the blade upside down or maybe even the wrong blade.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have one of the older versions of the WoodRiver block plane. It is not bad for the money at all. It works better than my old stanley's. That being said if you have the money go for the LN as it is a sure thing.

I use my block plane(s) all the time. The most used in planes my shop. I use them to knock off corners, plane and smooth small areas, plane down dovetails, upside down in a vise for tapering and smoothing wedges, you name it. But I have never used it for shaping. Just like any other flat soled plane they want to make surfaces flat. So unless you are making facets or smoothing the outside of a curve I don't see how a block plane will help you shape wood.

Good luck!
Salem

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I can't speak to either of those that you have, but I have two old Stanleys, 9 1/2 and 60 1/2, acquired on eBay for <$35 each. They both worked great right out of the box except for sharpening the blade. I use them all the time. I'm glad I have both - the low angle 60 1/2 is very handy for end grain work.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
But I have never used it for shaping. Just like any other flat soled plane they want to make surfaces flat. So unless you are making facets or smoothing the outside of a curve I don't see how a block plane will help you shape wood.

Good luck!
Salem

Yes you have in the first pic I posted. The leading edge of that wing starts out as a block of wood. Then you plane off long strips down the wing to get it into roughly the shape of the edge from there you move to sanders.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also build wings and have tried those tools to shape the leading edge - you are right they do not work I now use a Stanley low angle adj mouth block plane and it works great. For the soft balsa keep the blade very sharp and the opening small.

Anyway just about anything will be better than the little powered bugger I have been using.

gpmr4030main2.jpg

http://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpmr4030.html

Or the $7 plastic hobby plane that uses razor blades.

masr1510.jpg

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
I'd choose either the L-N or old Stanley/Craftsman, but not the WoodRiver
Reason being that, L-N will work out of box, and blade will stay sharp long
Old planes can work, but blade not as good; however, they are cheap

WoodRiver may work, and blade may be good, but then you may still want
an L-N and you'll be stuck with LN and WR

When choosing block planes, also please check how it feels in your hand. I
found the LV LABP a bit wider, the Stanley 60-1/2 feels just good (hopefully
the L-N as well)

Other option is the L-N 102 which should be a awesome plane (I have a
no name 102, but it just slides in your hand)

Hope this helps

Pinwu

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
To further add to the confusion or clarification....

I'd ask how you like to spend your time.

I don't find the adjustable mouth (or low angle) to be worth the extra cost. The difference in angle is not that dramatic and I don't find that block plane processes require uberfine mouth openings.

Yes, low angle and adjustable mouth work, but I don't find the trade off worth it.

A Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley Veritas show up ready to go. They are also fantastic with features and fit.

From there, you start trading time for money. How much tuning are you interested in? The more tuning the better the performance.

If you want to learn to tune, then I'd skip any new tool and look for an older Stanley, Millers Falls or Sargent plane.

They were made quite well, but not to the tolerance of a new LN/LV.

IMHO, todays "midrange" tools do not appear to be better than the old stuff. So I'd opt to save the money for a better tool to learn on.

Or, get a LN/LV and go to town.

Oh, and I'd consider the LN 102. As a useful block plane, its really hard to beat!

Jim

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Haven't spent time trying to "flat" any plane yet, and I don't know why one
would try to get 0.0001" precision with a block plane.

I would use any of the old planes, if I could get a decent blade (LN, LV, or
Hock) that will be sharpened and stay sharp.

Of the block planes I used, the no-name 102 fits the best, but the blade is not
that firm; the Stanley 60-1/2 is narrow, and not fatigue your hand, but blade
is kind soft; the LN rabbet block (60-1/2R) has a hard blade; the LV labp is a
bit too wide.

Also made a wooden block plane with Chinese "laminated" blade, worked fine
for me like easing an edge, etc.

So my point is, blade is more important, old planes fine, and could be get for
cheap; avoid the ones from Lowes, or the BORG, as you'll simply dislike the
fit, if you are into hand tools, you'll want a LN or LV sooner or later.

Hope this helps.

Pinwu

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Someone on Sawmillcreek.org has a Lee Valley block plane listed in the classifieds for $90. Much better than Woodriver, IMO. List price is $139

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Lee Valley Low Angle and it works great. I also have an old Stanley and a no-name (maybe craftsman) block plane that work OK.

The LV has a really nice chamfering attachment that let's you make very consistent chamfers around all four edges of a board or workbench, etc. It installs in place of the movable front plate that is the mouth adjustment. Really sweet.

- Ken.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Someone on Sawmillcreek.org has a Lee Valley block plane listed in the classifieds for $90. Much better than Woodriver, IMO. List price is $139

Looks like it's sold. There's a 60 1/2 listed on 10/3 for $30 shipped. Won't do much better unless you luck into one at a yard sale.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Jim, my WoodRiver block plane is definitely made of better materials then old stanley's. I dare say it is a better design as well. It has a much larger machined bed for the iron. That being said the machining was not perfect. It still works great but someday I will cough up the money for a LN.
Salem

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
They do have a wonderful bed.

I'd still say going older is a better "value" if you wanna upgrade someday and you are up for some tuning labor.

"Plenty good enough" old block planes can be had in the $20 clam range vs. the $90 of a Woodriver.

I got infected by the Schwarz Anarchist Toolchest philosophy. Alas, I do want to/enjoy tuning tools, so I'm not quite on board (har har).

In any case, I'll be sure to get in line behind you at the LN store :)

Jim

Jim, my WoodRiver block plane is definitely made of better materials then old stanley's. I dare say it is a better design as well. It has a much larger machined bed for the iron. That being said the machining was not perfect. It still works great but someday I will cough up the money for a LN.
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS