Adding a metal medallion to a turned bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
My brain keeps telling that sometime ago I watched a video of someone turning a bowl and adding a metal medallion into the side. Has anyone done this?

I'd like to add a challenge coin to a bowl and have both sides visible. Alternatively, I could add two coins, to show both sides but mentally that image seems a might tacky.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
you can do it, but keep in mind that the compound curvature of the wall means that there will always be a funky transition between the wall surface and the medallion. I have inlaid some small carvings into a piece in the past but I approached it as a decorative band on the shoulder of a closed vessel form. It was similar to a frieze on pottery from antiquity. This allowed me to present the icons to the viewer from a top vantage and I squared the frieze band off enough that the transition wasn't blatantly obvious.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Gene, Nick Zametti on Youtube puts a little medallion in the bottom of his pieces. Much easier that what you propose, He also uses a lot of resin in his work, so you could turn the bowl partway, cut out a section, put in the coin in resin and finish turning. When Nick polishes up the resin, it is completely transparent.

Roy G

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the input. If the paint dries, maybe 'ill,have something to show tomorrow. The lacquer needs some curing time.

Hot glue or E600 for the coin? I have a small tolerance for movement.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
How thick are you planning the sides of the bowl being? Like Stuart said you 'll have some angles to work with unless you have really thin walls. I think its doable if yoy have thin flat wall near the rim.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I decided to put it it the bowl bottom. The wall thickness would not support a wall mount
Maybe i'll break down and get a Onewy drill wizard one day to assure alignment

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Thanks for the input. If the paint dries, maybe 'ill,have something to show tomorrow. The lacquer needs some curing time.

Hot glue or E600 for the coin? I have a small tolerance for movement.

I’m neither a turner nor terribly familiar with E600, but I do glue a lot of odd items to one another and if I were doing such I would likely use epoxy (again, I can not speak as to E600 as I have only used it once or twice). There is little point to hot glue unless your goal is to make the coin easy to separate from the wood at a future date and want it to be easy to remove all traces of glue from the coin — hot glue does not provide all that much holding strength compared to the many alternatives.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some photos.

The wood is from the clearing of the site for the ECU Student Union building, thanks to TA Loving for letting me have some. I picked it up as it was felled and stored in my garage for a good little while where it spalted and fed the bark beetles. It is (red?) oak. The bowl is 9 inches in diameter and 2" deep. Wall thickness is about 1/4 inch. After about 10-15 coats of lacquer, it was buffed with a Beal system (my first attempt with the Beal).

I took the photos in my office this morning with overhead fluorescent lights using the computer screen covered with poster paper for a background.

The coin is bronze and 1.75 inches diameter. The hole in the front view is 1.63 inches diameter. I placed the coin with two small dabs of West epoxy along along the top and bottom to allow for across grain dimensional changes.

It will go on display this evening at the 2018 ECU Engineering All Classes Reunion. We're celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the first graduating class. We've raised just over $24,000 for an Engineering Alumni Scholarship.

Thanks for the help provided above.

Sorry about the second photo not being rotated. Funny the camera was oriented the same way for both photos.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ECU Engineering Alumni Bowl Back.jpg
    ECU Engineering Alumni Bowl Back.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 195
  • ECU Engineering Alumni Bowl Front.jpg
    ECU Engineering Alumni Bowl Front.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.