Acrylic pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Went into Woodcraft today to get their slow speed grinder that went on sale. (Yeah, that's a gloat) Well, I always browse up and down the rows and rows of neat stuff, but this time I had my son with me (3 years old). We stopped in front of the pen section, and he started looking at the acrylic blanks. He picked up one said, "this one's pretty nice", put it down, and did several like that. Then he picked up one, and said, "this one is my favorite one dad." I could tell he wanted it, so I said, "would you like me to get that for you Andrew?" He said, "oh yes daddy, this is the best one". (I'm a pushover, I know). Now I have a few questions.

1> Should I use epoxy to glue the tubes in this blank. (I'm pretty sure Woodguy said, use epoxy on acrylic, but I'm making sure)
2> Does acrylic need a finish? CA? or something of the like? Or does the acrylic just need to be polished up with Micromesh?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Clay, those are good questions. Not being a turner (yet!), I haven't a clue what the correct answer to either of those may be. Good Luck!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Well, I don't know if acrylic is the same as the poly resin blanks I pour, so take this with a box of salt.
I use CA for glueing the tubes, I'm sure epoxy would be fine, probably better. No finish is necessary, polish through 12k with MM. I do use a coat of Ren wax at the end. I usually color the tubes with a Sharpie that is close to the resin color in case there is any transparency in the blank when it is turned down.
HTH,
Ken

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Well.. I do believe I should have said poly resin pen instead of Acrylic. Thanks guys.

Michalel. Are you asking me for what I used? Or someone else for poly resins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS