According to my wife ...

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Ive been doing wood working for about 5 years. Started off with a cheap miter saw, kreg jig, and dewalt sander to build ana white furniture for our house. I was too cheap to buy furniture my wife wanted so I learned how to build them. In the last 2 years I have really gotten serious. Upgraded all my tools 2-3 times now, built a shop, even upgraded to a nice delta table saw which I love. However hearing all these people and injuries it really scaring the crap out of me. I will be buying a sawstop. I really dont want to spend $2-3k on one tool, however it's the most dangerous tool and the one I spend the most time with. Definitely worth it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Instead of an ad for saw stop (which is in order)
I would suggest the Microjig gripper

I do not use my table saw a lot and when I do this makes me more comfortable because it keeps my fingers a little further from the blade!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I bought a SawStop but have never gotten a scratch in about 50 years woodworking from a table saw. I last needed stitches in 2013 and had to get them on two days in a row! I was helping to get my then wife's house ready for sale and working long hours with few breaks. Near the end of day 1, I was cutting down an awning with a reciprocating saw. The awning framing was welded up conduit. The awning started to come down pushing the saw into my left hand. I avoided tendon damaged but needed stitches and it bled a lot. The next day I was back at it but couldn't use my left hand to do anything heavy. As a result, I was using a compound miter saw ackwardly, holding a long piece of trim with my right hand (instead of supporting it with scrap) and triggering the saw with my left. I could not see my right hand and put the blade of the saw right into it. I was within an 1/8 inch or so of cutting the tip off. Cut the bone a little. My right index finger works but will never look the same or have normal feeling near the tip.

As a result, I take breaks and stop working when I am getting tired. I haven't needed stitches since.

But because I have proven I do dumb stuff sometimes, I have a SawStop. The inventors greed insures that my other tools will not have the technology but they make a nice saw.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors