Accidents Do Happen

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
We hired a guy to remove the exterior siding and take down an old farm house. We had already salvaged the interior heart pine siding. The hand hewn seals was our primary target. The contractor had dug a hole and piled the few trees close to the structure. The hole he had dug was full and he decided to burn the tree debris. After lighting the pile he left momentarily to pickup a biscuit. When he returned there was 3 fire departments and County EMS personnel. The fire had engulfed the structure and completely burned in a matter of minutes. The contractor lost his backhoe and our excavator was damaged. We were able to salvage a few of the charred seals (6 or 7 @ approximately 6-8 ft long) and 3 pegs. In the end no loss of life and one was injured. Probably the saddest aspect is the contractor was just trying to make an honest living and lost the backhoe his dad had left him that he couldn't afford to lose.

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 237

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What are the "seals" that you were after?

Digging the burn hole too close to the structure wasn't smart.

Is pic 3 your excavator? Minor damage? Who pays for repairing that?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Negligence, Negligence, Negligence. Never leave a fire for a second. I hope he learns a lesson, and it shouldn’t be at your cost.

Agree 100%. My jaw dropped when I read "After lighting the pile he left momentarily to pickup a biscuit."

A good demonstration of probability for people thinking "I've done something like that before and didn't have any problems, this guy just had some bad luck".

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
This reminds me of a story I heard a while ago about a person who would routinely "burn the weeds" on his land. Another one of those "What could possibly go wrong here?" things. Of course, probability caught up with him eventually, taking his neighbors house with it.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
And this is why I require a Certificate of Insurance sent from their agent on all jobs. So many ways for accidents to happen. I see so many people with burn piles and nobody near them and monitoring them, and no way to put the fire out if it gets out of control.

Newboy

George
User
I thought he wanted the sills the house sat on. Could be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
What are the "seals" that you were after?

Digging the burn hole too close to the structure wasn't smart.

Is pic 3 your excavator? Minor damage? Who pays for repairing that?
"seals" are the "sills" the house sat on. I'm a spell monkey. The excavator is my brothers. The house was on a farm that he owns. I work with him. still working to see who pays what.

Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS